Re: shipwreck off Islay

  • bouquet314
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 30, 2003
      --- In scots-origins@yahoogroups.com, David Sutherland
      <dsutherland26@s...> wrote:
      > Hello:
      >

      > I have recently been searching for a shipwreck off Islay
      > from abt 1850. Family members were aboard, trying to immigrate to
      > Canada, but all escaped. Originally, I had no ship name and no exact
      > date but have made a number of inquiries. I have found two possible
      > ships but need some assistance to narrow down which one, if either,
      is
      > the ship. The two are the Janet Towers sunk January 1843 and the
      > Alexander sunk January 1852.
      >

      > RCAHMS Scottish Monuments website gives the Janet
      Towers as
      > a Schooner which sunk inLochindaal or Loch Indaal. The same group
      > describes the Alexander as a 'craft' which sank in Lochindaal or
      Loch
      > Indaal near the town of Bowmore. The Alexander's map reference was
      NR
      > 311 600. The Janet Towers is marked as 'unlocated' for a map
      reference.

      > Any help with these two vessels would be greatly
      > appreciated. The sinking caused a fuss since the ship had far more
      > emigrants aboard than they were supposed to have at the time of
      sinking
      > so I am hoping there is more records available.
      >

      > Thanks,
      >

      > Dave Sutherland
      >

      > Dave: Don't know about the whipwreck, but we have old Suhterland
      families here in Gloucester, MA (old fishing port on Mass.coast NE of
      Boston, MA. We have an Archives Committee here in Town Hall who are
      organizing our well kept records and will help for free. Contact me
      at Bouquet314@... or The Gloucester Archives Committee at
      Gloucester City Hall, MIddle St., Gloucester, MA 01930. I'm sure
      there are other Sutherlands in towns around here also.

      Cheers,

      Dee Brown

    • David Sutherland
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 6, 2004
        Dee Brown:

        Thanks for your reply. Sorry it took so long to respond. Perhaps
        there is a way your group can help with research about my
        great-grandfather John
        Guthrie Sutherland (born Burray Scotland 27th June 1839 d Arrow River
        Manitoba Canada 22 August 1924 and m Magdalene Thompson 2 April 1874
        Edinburgh Scotland).

        He was supposed to have worked for Cunard as a ships carpenter
        (he did have Masons papers as a carpenter). We do not know what ship(s)
        he was on but it must have been between about 1855 and 1874 when he
        first went to Canada.

        Family information has it that he was in Boston at the time of
        Lincoln's assassination while being a ship's carpenter. So, here is the
        question-Is there a record of what ships were in port in Boston at that
        time, their registry, and the companies that owned them. I can try to
        cross reference those ships names with records of crew lists at Kew,
        London but I pretty much need a ship name etc.

        This family story is the best link I have so far to that part of
        his life. I realize it is a thin link and that Boston would have been a
        busy port but any help would be appreciated.

        Thanks,
        David Sutherland
        dsutherland26@...