Re: [scots-origins] Passports

    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 1, 2003
      wafan@... writes:

      > Would I be incorrect in suggesting the folded paper format was known as a
      > "Carte Blanche" which permitted free passage/unfettered travel. Thus to-day
      > to give a person Carte Blanche - allow them to continue with no
      > interruption.
      >
      > I know one of our History Buffs will please clarify this for me. I cannot
      > remember where I gained this 'pearl of wisdom'. Could it have been a Tale
      > of two Cities????

      My old Imperial Dictionary defines Carte Blanche as a blank paper or a paper
      duly authenticated with a signature etc and intrusted to a person to be filled
      up as he pleases; hence, unconditional terms: umlimited power to decide.

      It quotes the following attributed to Disraeli

      "Lord Grey was armed with a carte blanche to create any number of peers
      necessary to insure its success".

    • Alison Fraser
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 2, 2003
        Thanks Ian, the mist has cleared. AF(NZ)