Re: [scots-origins] What's in a second name...?

  • Iain Sutherland
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 1, 2003
      The Scottish naming pattern was fairly rigid and in use for a long long time
      it used in strict order family names
      Iain

      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 3, 2003
        I have a case where the name John Cooper HANNAH appears as my ggfathers
        brother. The only connection I can find is the possibility that his (ie JCH)
        aunt Agnes married a Joseph COOPER, and that couple had a son named John.

        Stretching it a bit far there isn't it?

        Bruce Hannah (Aus)

        Researching HANNAH, LEES, BROWN, SOUTER, FOLEY, JACK, etc
      • Judy Strachan
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 3, 2003
          Sounds feasible to me, Bruce.

          My Ayrshire Strachan family in particular followed a sort of
          'pattern' when naming their children. If a child was named
          after someone with the surname Strachan, they got just a first
          name. But if they were named after someone who wasn't a
          Strachan, they got that person's surname as their middle name.

          For example, the aunt I knew as Mary was baptised Mary Ann
          McInerny Strachan because she was named after her paternal
          grandmother whose maiden name was Mary Ann McInerny. And
          my great-grandfather had a brother called Colin Haddow Strachan
          who was named after his uncle, Colin Haddow.

          I even have one ancestor who was named after a next door
          neighbour!

          I suspect this would have been fairly common as it's unlikely
          my family invented such a naming system.

          Regards
          Judy

          I have a case where the name John Cooper HANNAH appears as my ggfathers
          brother. The only connection I can find is the possibility that his (ie JCH)
          aunt Agnes married a Joseph COOPER, and that couple had a son named John.

          Stretching it a bit far there isn't it?

          Bruce Hannah (Aus)

          Researching HANNAH, LEES, BROWN, SOUTER, FOLEY, JACK, etc
        • edzellgirl
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 4, 2003
            As to where people got their "middle names" as we always called them
            in Scotland, as well as giving family names and other people like the
            doctor, I have found ancestors with middle names relating to
            important public figures. This was brought to mind with the inquiry
            about COCKBURN.
            In mid and early eighteen hundreds Lord Cockburn was one of the most
            well known. My gr gr grandfather enjoyed the name Gabriel Hamilton
            Dundas Wallace.
            Lords Hamilton and Dundas being very well known also. Put Cockburn,
            Hamilton or Dundas into a search engine relating to Scotland and you
            will come up with plenty of information.

            It is just another idea but if you are familiar with Edinburgh or
            other Scottish town street names these names jump out at you.

            So if you fail to find family connections there is just a chance that
            the name was picked in a bout of patriotic fervour that was not
            uncommon at that time, with Trafalgar, the Empire and all that...

            Ewan

            -- In scots-origins@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Hannah" <bchlct@o...>