Re: [scots-origins] Sheffield, Scotland???

    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 3, 2003
      Rena MCCARTHY wrote:

      > Is there something you know which we don't know David, and is it anything to
      > do with the planned fragmentation of England, where each County Shire rules
      > itself - just like in Germany & France under their presidents?

      A grand idea. The Kingdom of Fife is still proclaimed on public signs there. For me, the Royal Burghs of Tain and Dingwall held special powers in living memory- my grannie bn Dingwall, my
      dad bn Tain. There is a kinda immortality in neural memory.

      I still "see" my late mother over my right shoulder, when I do something wrong!

      Cheers,

      ALISTAIR
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 3, 2003
        Dorothy wrote:

        > Dorothy (Longforgan - just over the River Tay from St. Andrews, or
        > thereabouts!!)
        > --------------------

        Let's share a laugh- returning south from Dundee Royal Infirmary where I had delivered my wife Mary (surgical admission) I turned right instead of left into the last roundabout before the
        Tay road bridge. Fortunately there was little traffic. The sort of mistake one makes just once!

        That <very ugly> road bridge was built by my cousin Logan, from Muir of Ord.
        My cousin Ian Cameron who was an employee on its construction told me, he was the first person to fall into the water, off that bridge.

        I still wear shoes I bought in Dundee. The makers' label inside has the cute wording BUILT TO LAST!

        Cheers,

        ALISTAIR
      • dkmcad
        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 4, 2003
          "The sort of mistake one makes just once!"

          Indeed Alistair!

          > That <very ugly> road bridge was built by my cousin Logan, from
          Muir of Ord."

          Am I correct in thinking that Mr. Logan died when his plane crashed
          somewhere in Scotland. His little plane used to come and go from
          Riverside, in the days when there was virtually no air traffic here.
          Having said that, there still is virtually no air traffic!

          I think Loganair developed from Mr. Logan's company??? They served
          the Highlands and Islands if I am not mistaken.

          > I still wear shoes I bought in Dundee. The makers' label inside has
          the cute wording BUILT TO LAST!

          Dundonians always build things to last!!!!!

          Happy Birthday Alistair,

          Regards, Dorothy (Longforgan)
          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 4, 2003
            Dorothy wrote:

            > "The sort of mistake one makes just once!"
            >
            > Indeed Alistair!
            >
            > > That <very ugly> road bridge was built by my cousin Logan, from
            > Muir of Ord."
            >
            > Am I correct in thinking that Mr. Logan died when his plane crashed
            > somewhere in Scotland.

            Yes. I was told he crashed into Ord Hill on the w. outskirts of Inverness town. Our photo album has a pic of my late father and a buddy lying down gazing reflective like upon the camera. The
            real reason tweed jackets had leather patches in the elbows!!

            > I think Loganair developed from Mr. Logan's company??? They served
            > the Highlands and Islands if I am not mistaken.

            Yes Loganair ran Scotland's first airmail service. I've not studied the corporate arrangements nor comprehended how the brothers shared the works ie airline, heavy engineering, quarrying.
            Descendant Margaret Logan my cousin, lives in "our" CAMERON croft today.

            > Happy Birthday Alistair,

            Thanks to Dorothy and others for the Greetings. It was a good day. My wife Mary Ferguson baked a beaut raisin teacake which we ate still warm, buttered. I did some fiddling repair work in
            the garden shed.

            Cheers,

            ALISTAIR
          • Boxerlover
            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 4, 2003
              Just wanted to say Thank You to all who responded. I had no idea this thread would go on so long :-)))

              After looking through material supplied by those on the list and going through the US Census', the birthplace of my Great Grandmother, Jane E. Bolton, was indeed Sheffield, England..not Scotland. Sorry if I caused a 'stir'..I should know better than to take all Family Group Records as fact until backed up by fact....lol

              thanks again,

              Tim in Northern California (talk about border consciousness...a soul from Northern California would make it very clear that they w'ere closer to San Francisco, than to LA. (and visa versa I'm sure ;-)....different worlds indeed.....lol.)

            • Anne Rennie
              Message 6 of 18 , Nov 9, 2003
                Interested in the recent references to "ORD" in relation to Inverness. My
                great-grandfather was John ORD Forbes who died in Dundee in 1919; he was
                born in Aberdeen in 1857 to William Forbes/Ann Elder who were married in
                Inverness in 1849. I've managed to trace Ann's parents, but so far have hit
                a brick wall with William. Any suggestions anyone?

                Anne (Dundee)

                Message 7 of 18 , Nov 10, 2003
                  Anne Rennie wrote:

                  > Interested in the recent references to "ORD" in relation to Inverness. My
                  > great-grandfather was John ORD Forbes

                  An interesting pair of names. FORBES is a significant surname in my ancestral town Muir of ORD which is between Beauly and Dingwall. "Forbes Cafe" may still be trading in the Main Street.

                  The main proprietor there was MacKenzie of ORD. His estates were sold off I think, from 1960s on. His widow was alive when I visited her at Croftnabual in 1990.

                  > who died in Dundee in 1919; he was
                  > born in Aberdeen in 1857 to William Forbes/Ann Elder who were married in
                  > Inverness in 1849. I've managed to trace Ann's parents, but so far have hit
                  > a brick wall with William. Any suggestions anyone?

                  There should be no brick wall. Surely William's death entry names his parents? And the 1851 Census will probably show his birth parish.

                  Cheers,

                  ALISTAIR