Re: [scots-origins] Lucy

  • SUE ROSIE
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 25, 2003
      Lucy was used as a nickname for girls baptised Lucia,Lucinda, Lucette,
      Lucasta, Lucrece, Lucille and Lulu, before it became establised as a name in
      its own right.
      Could Lucy have perhaps been her middle name, which she preferred?
      My late great aunt's death certificate shows her middle name as her first
      name because she always called herself by her 2nd christian name & this was
      how her death was registered.
      Regatds.

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 2, 2003
          Hi Shane,

          According to a book I have on Scottish Christian Names, the Gaelic form of
          the name Lucy, is Liusaidh.

          I hope this is of help to you.
          Cheers. Kerri

          At 08:57 AM 02/09/2003 +0100, you wrote:
          >I am trying to find out what names might have had LUCY
          >as a nickname or pet name.
          >I've been unable to trace a ggggrandmother ( 1780s?
          >Sutherland) supposedly called Lucy,[ but maybe Eliza
          >or Isabella]. Her descendants all included a Lucy.
          >Even her death cert was registered as Lucy, but so far
          >no trace of birth or marriage.
          >
          >Any suggestions?
          >
          >Shane { in Cairo]

        • Rena MCCARTHY
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 2, 2003
            My gt. grandmother was baptised Lucy, as was several of her cousins. The
            girls were all younger daughters and theirs was the first generation (mid
            1800's) to have the name, so I do wonder if they were named after a national
            'celebrity'. ''Lucy' is just an ordinary English given name. The
            masculine version is Lucius (Latin).

            Rena
            ==
            > I am trying to find out what names might have had LUCY
            > as a nickname or pet name.
            > I've been unable to trace a ggggrandmother ( 1780s?
            > Sutherland) supposedly called Lucy,[ but maybe Eliza
            > or Isabella]. Her descendants all included a Lucy.
            > Even her death cert was registered as Lucy, but so far
            > no trace of birth or marriage.
            >
            > Any suggestions?
            >
            > Shane { in Cairo]
          • snapl2002
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 3, 2003
              My Great Great Grandmother was registered at birth as, Lucy Cowan Ness.
              Her name on her marriage and death certicates was, Louisa Cowan Ness.
              One of her sons was given the name Louis at birth, but used the spelling
              Lewis as an adult. The names Lucy and Louisa were passed down.

              Laura
            • snapl2002