Kirk records

  • Catherine
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 28 6:36 AM
      From here in South Australia, how do I find out if my ggg aunt, who had an
      illegitimate son about 1826, made it into the Kirk records, always saying
      there are some for that era and place - parish of Strath, Isle of Skye,
      Inverness shire? My ggg aunt never married.

      Catherine
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 29 9:58 PM
        Catherine wrote:

        > >From here in South Australia, how do I find out if my ggg aunt, who had an
        > illegitimate son about 1826, made it into the Kirk records, always saying
        > there are some for that era and place - parish of Strath, Isle of Skye,
        > Inverness shire? My ggg aunt never married.

        As you've quote no close date for the birth, best check FIRST whether you have tried all the convenient birth/ bapt sources notably:

        Index to Scottish Church records (CD or fiche). Note, you may search by Given name separately from searching by Surname. A good option, for baby names such as Philadelphia Brown or
        McLaughlan Smith.
        IGI
        IGI Addendum
        British Isle Vital Records Index CDs

        If you wish to know whether LDS has microfilms for specific congregations, then use FH Library Catalogue. One route being Keyword search- tried KIRK SESSION STRATH SCOTLAND for starters. No
        hits. But this "hit" may help, the description is a bit bare:
        =====
        Family History Library Catalogue

        Catalogue Record:
        Inverness kirk-session records, 1661-1800

        Authors:
        Mitchell, Alexander (Main Author)

        Notes:
        Also on microfiche. Salt Lake City : Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1991. 5 microfiches.
        FHL BRITISH Fiche
        6036099

        Copyright 2002 by Intellectual Reserve, Inc. All rights reserved.

        ALISTAIR M. CAMERON http://quozl.netrek.org/cameron-research/

        PO Box 215 BUNDANOON NSW 2578 AUSTRALIA