Milnes

  • WMILNE8@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 31, 2003
      Sorry Kate but my husbands Milnes are from the east coast
      Regards
      W. Milne

    • cb678@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 1, 2003
        In a message dated 7/31/03 1:18:05 PM Eastern Daylight Time, WMILNE8@...
        writes:

        > Sorry Kate but my husbands Milnes are from the east coast

        I saw this message on the list. I have MILNE'S in my tree. They were living
        in Dundee. I have a William Milne (b.1833) married to a Marjory Kennedy with
        7 children, but my connection was Bella White Milne who married Alexander
        Dunlop in 1908. Just curious.
        Carol

      • Margaret Brooks
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 4, 2003
          Where abouts?

          I haven't started researching this name yet, but I do have it in my
          family...

          Margaret
          Phoenix, Arizona
          > Sorry Kate but my husbands Milnes are from the east coast
          > Regards
          > W. Milne

        • Margaret Brooks
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 5, 2003
            Carol,

            Do you happen to have any of your Milnes marrying a Porteous? A female
            Porteous?

            My Mom seems to think we have a connection with Milnes in Dundee, but she
            doesn't know the names. My Granddad had a cousin named James R. Milne who
            was a witness at his wedding: James R. Milne, 7 Small Crescent Blantyre,
            Witness.

            When my Great-Grandmother died in childbirth, my Great-Grandfather and my
            Granddad (who was 2 at the time) went to live with my GG-Grandparents. My
            Great-Aunt lived with them for a short while, but because of my
            GG-Grandmother's age she was unable to properly take care of a little girl.
            Such things as all the buttons on clothes and shoes, the way hair needing
            curling, etc (modes of the time) were a bit beyond her by then. So Jessie
            was sent to live with an aunt and uncle. My Mom thinks it was in Dundee and
            thinks the name was Milne.

            The bride's name would more than likely have been either Helen, Jane or
            Jessie Porteous. The marriage would probably have taken place sometime
            around or after the 1880's.

            TIA
            Margaret Brooks
            Phoenix, Arizona
          • Carol
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 5, 2003
              From: <WMILNE8@...>
            • Diana Jacobs
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 6, 2003
                Hi,
                I also have Milne's in my family tree which I have not done much research
                on.
                My Greatgrandmother Mary Milne was born in 39 North St Mungo Street,
                Glasgow, in 1875. She married a James Elliot. Going back - her father John
                Milne born 1841, Aberdeen, married 1847 St Andrews, died 1917 149 Firpark
                Street, Glasgow. Mary was the only daughter and had 7 brothers James b 1869
                Edinburgh, John Wilson Milne b 1871, Edinburgh, James Wilson Milne b 1873
                Glasgow d 44 Dunchattan Street, Glasgow 1876, George Milne b 1878, Glasgow,
                William Thomas Milne b 1880, Glasgow, Charles Robertson Milne b 1882 and
                worked for Blackies the Publishers, and James Wilson Milne b 1885 Glasgow.
                Going by the 1891 and 1901 census they lived in Alexandra Parade,Dennistoun
                area of Glasgow.

                Can you see any connection?
                Regards,
                Diana

                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 7, 2003
                    Hello Diana: As I was looking through your message I was surprised to
                    see St. Mungo Street. In the 1891 census I have where my gr.
                    grandparents lived at 14 St. Mungo, James and Jessie Jackson along with
                    their children Agnes who was 10 at the time which makes her birth 1881,
                    Jane who was 4, Elizabeth (my grandmother), aged 9 mo. Along with their
                    step-brothers Robert and Alexander Stirling.

                    On the 1901 census this same family lived at 102 Alexandra Parade.
                    Another daughter was born Jessie and also my gr. grandfather had died in
                    1900. It is
                    A coincidence I am sure that your family and my family lived in the same
                    area. Do you know the wives names of your gr. grandmothers brothers.
                    It would be unique if one of them was married to an Agnes Jackson. A
                    lot of information for you to look at, but I couldn't resist since both
                    families lived on the same streets at the time of the two census.

                    Hope that we can find a connection. Cheers Kate

                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 11, 2003
                      Hi Judy,
                      Thanks. Will keep on file and check out. Names Christina, Alexander, John,
                      James and Ann are names which re-occur through the generations. Although at
                      present I don't know exactly when my Milne's came to Glasgow from Aberdeen.
                      This could be a generation back one from John ie Aunt or Uncle.

                      Thanks again,
                      Diana

                      > I also have Milne's in my family tree which I have not done much research
                      > on.
                      > My Greatgrandmother Mary Milne was born in 39 North St Mungo Street,
                      > Glasgow, in 1875. She married a James Elliot. Going back - her father John
                      > Milne born 1841, Aberdeen, married 1847 St Andrews, died 1917 149 Firpark
                      > Street, Glasgow. Mary was the only daughter and had 7 brothers James b
                      1869
                      > Edinburgh, John Wilson Milne b 1871, Edinburgh, James Wilson Milne b 1873
                      > Glasgow d 44 Dunchattan Street, Glasgow 1876, George Milne b 1878,
                      Glasgow,
                      > William Thomas Milne b 1880, Glasgow, Charles Robertson Milne b 1882 and
                      > worked for Blackies the Publishers, and James Wilson Milne b 1885
                      Glasgow.
                      > Going by the 1891 and 1901 census they lived in Alexandra
                      Parade,Dennistoun
                      > area of Glasgow.
                      >
                      > Can you see any connection?
                      > Regards,
                      > Diana

                    • Margaret Brooks
                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 20, 2003
                        Kate,

                        The only Milne names that I know of for sure are David, Betty and James R.
                        Milne. David and Betty were probably born in the early 1910's (my Granddad
                        was born in 1908 and a picture of he and his sister was taken with David and
                        Betty about 1913 and David and Betty looked to be about maybe 3 and 1 or so,
                        respectively.) James' address as of September 28, 1938 (according to my
                        Grandparent's marriage certificate) was 7 Small Crescent, Blantyre, Lanark,
                        Scotland. He may have originally been from the Dundee area. He was a
                        witness for my Grandparent's wedding and was my Granddad's cousin. From the
                        wedding picture, he looked to be roughly the same age as my Granddad. His
                        mother would have been either Jane or Jessie Porteous. I think David and
                        Betty were probably his brother and sister. Jane and Jessie's parents (my
                        Granddad's Grandparents) were William Porteous and Elizabeth Izzett. Both
                        of these were Aunts of my Granddad. The only other Aunt died just before
                        she turned 3.

                        I don't know if there are any connections here to you or anyone else here on
                        scots-origins, but I sure would love to find some!

                        Margaret