Whats a tomato

  • Brenda & Tony MacCulloch
    Message 1 of 26 , Mar 31, 2003
      me again,

      another tale from my nursing in the UK.
      I was looking after a rather fractious, irritable old scottish gent who was
      having what appeared to be a tantrum.
      I kept asking him :
      "Whats the matter - tell me whats the matter"
      This seemed to add fuel to the fire - so as to speak and the behaviour
      became more agitated.
      "Whats the matter" I asked again and suddenly he stopped mid-stream and
      shouted at me:

      "Why do you keep asking me 'Whats a tomato'

      We all collapsed laughing - my Kiwi accent had saved the day ! He promptly
      turned over and went to sleep.

      Brenda

      > From: Gavin Bell <g.bell@...>
      > Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2003 09:15:31 +0000
      > To: "scots-origins@egroups.com" <scots-origins@yahoogroups.com>
      > Subject: [scots-origins] Re: Pronunciation
      >
      > Jackie wrote:
      >
      >> I understand the Scottish accent perfectly well
      >
      > Sorry, Jackie, there's no such animal! The whole point about Scottish
      > speech is that it varies so much (grammar, vocabulary and pronunciation)
      > from place to place, to the extent that Scots from different parts of
      > the kingdom can have quite serious difficulty understanding each other.
      > If the furthest north your family strayed was Brechin, then you ain't
      > heard nuthin yet - try Buchan Scots (sometimes inaccurately called "The
      > Doric") for sheer impenetrability!
      >

      > Gavin Bell

    • Ann Reade
      Message 2 of 26 , Apr 1, 2003
        ?Fish and Chip shop
      • James Morton-Robertson
        Message 3 of 26 , Apr 1, 2003
          I used to have a Kiwi secretqry from the North Island and we did have
          problems like she called me Jum and sex kept getting in the way until I
          discovered it came after 5 and before 7, good time keepers these Kiwis.
          There were many more but fush and chups was a favourite.
          James

          I was looking after a rather fractious, irritable old scottish gent who
          was
          having what appeared to be a tantrum.
          I kept asking him :
          "Whats the matter - tell me whats the matter"
          This seemed to add fuel to the fire - so as to speak and the behaviour
          became more agitated.
          "Whats the matter" I asked again and suddenly he stopped mid-stream and
          shouted at me:

          "Why do you keep asking me 'Whats a tomato'

          We all collapsed laughing - my Kiwi accent had saved the day ! He
          promptly
          turned over and went to sleep.

          Brenda

          > From: Gavin Bell <g.bell@...>
          > Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2003 09:15:31 +0000
          > To: "scots-origins@egroups.com" <scots-origins@yahoogroups.com>
          > Subject: [scots-origins] Re: Pronunciation
          >
          > Jackie wrote:
          >
          >> I understand the Scottish accent perfectly well
          >
          > Sorry, Jackie, there's no such animal! The whole point about Scottish
          > speech is that it varies so much (grammar, vocabulary and
          pronunciation)
          > from place to place, to the extent that Scots from different parts of
          > the kingdom can have quite serious difficulty understanding each
          other.
          > If the furthest north your family strayed was Brechin, then you ain't
          > heard nuthin yet - try Buchan Scots (sometimes inaccurately called
          "The
          > Doric") for sheer impenetrability!
          >

          > Gavin Bell

          > This message comes from the Scots Origins Discussion Group, sponsored
          by
          > Scots Origins (www.scotsorigins.com). The group has been set up so
          that
          > members can share genealogical information about Scotland, to reply
          send an
          > email to scots-origins@yahoogroups.com

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          ---
          Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

          ---
        • Rena MCCARTHY
          Message 4 of 26 , Apr 1, 2003
            The type of one fish sold being 'cod', although I prefer haddock and chips
            myself. Rena==

            > ?Fish and Chip shop

          • Brenda & Tony MacCulloch
            Message 5 of 26 , Apr 1, 2003
              One would think so but it was CURRYS
              of the Indian hot and spicy type - I too thought she was saying Cod as in
              the fish but no !!!

              Isn't life interesting.

              cheers,
              Brenda

              > From: "Ann Reade" <ann@...>
              > Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 12:33:07 +0100
              > To: <scots-origins@yahoogroups.com>
              > Subject: Re: [scots-origins] Whats a Coddie..
              >
              > ?Fish and Chip shop

            • Brenda & Tony MacCulloch
              Message 6 of 26 , Apr 1, 2003
                She sounds wonderful !
                There is a great tale of a visitor to NZ, just off the plane and couldn't
                understand anything people were saying.

                He got into a taxi to go to town and asked the driver "Do people here speak
                English?"

                "Airsick Horse" replied the indignant driver.

                (translated as "Yes of course")

                Completely off topic, saw a car yesterday (Auckland NZ) with a licence plate
                reading:

                GRT8SCOT

                Brenda

              • Brenda & Tony MacCulloch
                Message 7 of 26 , Apr 1, 2003
                  No, no - thats the joke, frustration whatever one would like to call it, she
                  said CODDIE but she was actually trying to say CURRY....

                  brenda

                  > From: "Rena MCCARTHY" <Rena@...>
                  > Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 18:29:56 +0100
                  > To: <scots-origins@yahoogroups.com>
                  > Subject: Re: [scots-origins] Whats a Coddie..
                  >
                  > The type of one fish sold being 'cod', although I prefer haddock and chips
                  > myself. Rena==
                  >

                  >> ?Fish and Chip shop

                • Carole
                  Message 8 of 26 , Apr 1, 2003
                    Hi James
                    What an unusual kiwi secretary you must have had I
                    am a kiwi and I say fish and chips and so does my
                    family.This kiwi you had was I would say joking with
                    you anyway what a good laugh.
                    Carole[Proud to be a kiwi]
                    --- James Morton-Robertson

                    http://platinum.yahoo.com
                  • Ann Reade
                    Message 9 of 26 , Apr 1, 2003
                      Me too.
                      Ann
                    • Rena MCCARTHY
                      Message 10 of 26 , Apr 2, 2003
                        I have a peculiar sense of humour - Did you enjoy being frustrated? sorry.
                        Rena
                        ===

                        > No, no - thats the joke, frustration whatever one would like to call it,
                        she
                        > said CODDIE but she was actually trying to say CURRY....
                        >
                        > brenda
                        >
                        > > From: "Rena MCCARTHY" <Rena@...>
                        > > Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 18:29:56 +0100
                        > > To: <scots-origins@yahoogroups.com>
                        > > Subject: Re: [scots-origins] Whats a Coddie..
                        > >
                        > > The type of one fish sold being 'cod', although I prefer haddock and
                        chips
                        > > myself. Rena==
                        > >

                        > >> ?Fish and Chip shop

                        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/