Whats a Coddie..

  • Brenda & Tony MacCulloch
    Message 1 of 26 , Mar 31 9:18 AM
      Whats a 'Coddie'

      Never mind Scots accents being differnet everywhere one travels, what about
      a Scots person working in Birmingham.

      Having travelled for a day from NZ, I arrived exhausted at the Hospital I
      was going to work at and was put into the Sisters Home. The cafeteria was
      closed so I rang the switchboard to ask if there was any where local I could
      order food.

      She said (helpfully) theres always 'Coddies', whats a Coddie, I asked.
      Well, she said, a Coddie's a Coddie...
      This was going on and I was too exhausted and hungry so said, 'Can you
      please spell it for me.

      C.U.R.R.I.E

      She said painfully slowly - I have the phone number of the local Coddie
      Hoose, you can order one and they will bring it to the Sisters Home.

      Brenda

      > From: Gavin Bell <g.bell@...>
      > Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2003 09:15:31 +0000
      > To: "scots-origins@egroups.com" <scots-origins@yahoogroups.com>
      > Subject: [scots-origins] Re: Pronunciation
      >
      > Jackie wrote:
      >
      >> I understand the Scottish accent perfectly well
      >
      > Sorry, Jackie, there's no such animal! The whole point about Scottish
      > speech is that it varies so much (grammar, vocabulary and pronunciation)
      > from place to place, to the extent that Scots from different parts of
      > the kingdom can have quite serious difficulty understanding each other.
      > If the furthest north your family strayed was Brechin, then you ain't
      > heard nuthin yet - try Buchan Scots (sometimes inaccurately called "The
      > Doric") for sheer impenetrability!
      >

      > Gavin Bell

    • Brenda & Tony MacCulloch
      Message 2 of 26 , Mar 31 9:25 AM
        me again,

        another tale from my nursing in the UK.
        I was looking after a rather fractious, irritable old scottish gent who was
        having what appeared to be a tantrum.
        I kept asking him :
        "Whats the matter - tell me whats the matter"
        This seemed to add fuel to the fire - so as to speak and the behaviour
        became more agitated.
        "Whats the matter" I asked again and suddenly he stopped mid-stream and
        shouted at me:

        "Why do you keep asking me 'Whats a tomato'

        We all collapsed laughing - my Kiwi accent had saved the day ! He promptly
        turned over and went to sleep.

        Brenda

        > From: Gavin Bell <g.bell@...>
        > Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2003 09:15:31 +0000
        > To: "scots-origins@egroups.com" <scots-origins@yahoogroups.com>
        > Subject: [scots-origins] Re: Pronunciation
        >
        > Jackie wrote:
        >
        >> I understand the Scottish accent perfectly well
        >
        > Sorry, Jackie, there's no such animal! The whole point about Scottish
        > speech is that it varies so much (grammar, vocabulary and pronunciation)
        > from place to place, to the extent that Scots from different parts of
        > the kingdom can have quite serious difficulty understanding each other.
        > If the furthest north your family strayed was Brechin, then you ain't
        > heard nuthin yet - try Buchan Scots (sometimes inaccurately called "The
        > Doric") for sheer impenetrability!
        >

        > Gavin Bell

      • Ann Reade
        Message 3 of 26 , Apr 1, 2003
          ?Fish and Chip shop
        • James Morton-Robertson
          Message 4 of 26 , Apr 1, 2003
            I used to have a Kiwi secretqry from the North Island and we did have
            problems like she called me Jum and sex kept getting in the way until I
            discovered it came after 5 and before 7, good time keepers these Kiwis.
            There were many more but fush and chups was a favourite.
            James

            I was looking after a rather fractious, irritable old scottish gent who
            was
            having what appeared to be a tantrum.
            I kept asking him :
            "Whats the matter - tell me whats the matter"
            This seemed to add fuel to the fire - so as to speak and the behaviour
            became more agitated.
            "Whats the matter" I asked again and suddenly he stopped mid-stream and
            shouted at me:

            "Why do you keep asking me 'Whats a tomato'

            We all collapsed laughing - my Kiwi accent had saved the day ! He
            promptly
            turned over and went to sleep.

            Brenda

            > From: Gavin Bell <g.bell@...>
            > Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2003 09:15:31 +0000
            > To: "scots-origins@egroups.com" <scots-origins@yahoogroups.com>
            > Subject: [scots-origins] Re: Pronunciation
            >
            > Jackie wrote:
            >
            >> I understand the Scottish accent perfectly well
            >
            > Sorry, Jackie, there's no such animal! The whole point about Scottish
            > speech is that it varies so much (grammar, vocabulary and
            pronunciation)
            > from place to place, to the extent that Scots from different parts of
            > the kingdom can have quite serious difficulty understanding each
            other.
            > If the furthest north your family strayed was Brechin, then you ain't
            > heard nuthin yet - try Buchan Scots (sometimes inaccurately called
            "The
            > Doric") for sheer impenetrability!
            >

            > Gavin Bell

            > This message comes from the Scots Origins Discussion Group, sponsored
            by
            > Scots Origins (www.scotsorigins.com). The group has been set up so
            that
            > members can share genealogical information about Scotland, to reply
            send an
            > email to scots-origins@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            ---
            Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

            ---
          • Rena MCCARTHY
            Message 5 of 26 , Apr 1, 2003
              The type of one fish sold being 'cod', although I prefer haddock and chips
              myself. Rena==

              > ?Fish and Chip shop

            • Brenda & Tony MacCulloch
              Message 6 of 26 , Apr 1, 2003
                One would think so but it was CURRYS
                of the Indian hot and spicy type - I too thought she was saying Cod as in
                the fish but no !!!

                Isn't life interesting.

                cheers,
                Brenda

                > From: "Ann Reade" <ann@...>
                > Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 12:33:07 +0100
                > To: <scots-origins@yahoogroups.com>
                > Subject: Re: [scots-origins] Whats a Coddie..
                >
                > ?Fish and Chip shop

              • Brenda & Tony MacCulloch
                Message 7 of 26 , Apr 1, 2003
                  She sounds wonderful !
                  There is a great tale of a visitor to NZ, just off the plane and couldn't
                  understand anything people were saying.

                  He got into a taxi to go to town and asked the driver "Do people here speak
                  English?"

                  "Airsick Horse" replied the indignant driver.

                  (translated as "Yes of course")

                  Completely off topic, saw a car yesterday (Auckland NZ) with a licence plate
                  reading:

                  GRT8SCOT

                  Brenda

                • Brenda & Tony MacCulloch
                  Message 8 of 26 , Apr 1, 2003
                    No, no - thats the joke, frustration whatever one would like to call it, she
                    said CODDIE but she was actually trying to say CURRY....

                    brenda

                    > From: "Rena MCCARTHY" <Rena@...>
                    > Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 18:29:56 +0100
                    > To: <scots-origins@yahoogroups.com>
                    > Subject: Re: [scots-origins] Whats a Coddie..
                    >
                    > The type of one fish sold being 'cod', although I prefer haddock and chips
                    > myself. Rena==
                    >

                    >> ?Fish and Chip shop

                  • Carole
                    Message 9 of 26 , Apr 1, 2003
                      Hi James
                      What an unusual kiwi secretary you must have had I
                      am a kiwi and I say fish and chips and so does my
                      family.This kiwi you had was I would say joking with
                      you anyway what a good laugh.
                      Carole[Proud to be a kiwi]
                      --- James Morton-Robertson

                      http://platinum.yahoo.com
                    • Ann Reade
                      Message 10 of 26 , Apr 1, 2003
                        Me too.
                        Ann
                      • Rena MCCARTHY
                        Message 11 of 26 , Apr 2, 2003
                          I have a peculiar sense of humour - Did you enjoy being frustrated? sorry.
                          Rena
                          ===

                          > No, no - thats the joke, frustration whatever one would like to call it,
                          she
                          > said CODDIE but she was actually trying to say CURRY....
                          >
                          > brenda
                          >
                          > > From: "Rena MCCARTHY" <Rena@...>
                          > > Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 18:29:56 +0100
                          > > To: <scots-origins@yahoogroups.com>
                          > > Subject: Re: [scots-origins] Whats a Coddie..
                          > >
                          > > The type of one fish sold being 'cod', although I prefer haddock and
                          chips
                          > > myself. Rena==
                          > >

                          > >> ?Fish and Chip shop

                          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/