Irish in Scotland

    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 28 10:13 AM
      Caroline Day wrote:

      > Hello Alistair, thank you for responding, I have the parents names from the
      > death certs. of Thomas and Michael Hetherington showing parents to be
      > Michael Hetherington (crofter) and Catherine Hendry but I don't know where
      > in Ireland they come from - any clues to how I can find out???

      Tough one. Try IGI, IGI Addendum and Brit Isles Vital Records Index for a marriage.

      Work the Surnames lists on GenForum, and Rootsweb Ireland, you may located a co- researcher.

      Lynn Forrester in Burlington ONT started a HENRY/Ireland surname organisation, I have a street address which may not be current.
      My wife's HENDRY family was from Londonderry- village of Garvagh, but the surname is probably "all over"

      Sorry, there seems no easy route for your goal!

      Cheers,

      ALISTAIR
    • Ms sheila gadze
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 3, 2003
        ---
        Hi I received this email by mistake I think it has
        been forwarded onto me instead of someone else.
        Regards
        Sheila

        http://uk.my.yahoo.com
      • caroline.day2@ntlworld.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 3, 2003
          >Thanks Alistair for your response - I will try sources suggested and hopefully will have some luck - it is very difficult with not much of a starting point!

          Kind regards.
          Caroline

          > From: Alistair Cameron <acameron@...>
          > Date: 2003/02/28 Fri PM 06:13:38 GMT
          > To: scots-origins@yahoogroups.com
          > Subject: [scots-origins] Irish in Scotland
          >

          > Caroline Day wrote:
          >
          > > Hello Alistair, thank you for responding, I have the parents names from the
          > > death certs. of Thomas and Michael Hetherington showing parents to be
          > > Michael Hetherington (crofter) and Catherine Hendry but I don't know where
          > > in Ireland they come from - any clues to how I can find out???
          >
          > Tough one. Try IGI, IGI Addendum and Brit Isles Vital Records Index for a marriage.
          >
          > Work the Surnames lists on GenForum, and Rootsweb Ireland, you may located a co- researcher.
          >
          > Lynn Forrester in Burlington ONT started a HENRY/Ireland surname organisation, I have a street address which may not be current.
          > My wife's HENDRY family was from Londonderry- village of Garvagh, but the surname is probably "all over"
          >
          > Sorry, there seems no easy route for your goal!
          >
          > Cheers,
          >
          > ALISTAIR

        • Eileen
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 3, 2003
            Alistair:

            What is the IGI addendum?

            Eileen

            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 4, 2003
              Eileen wrote:

              > Alistair:
              >
              > What is the IGI addendum?

              Those of us who are users of LDS FH Centres, find that FAMILY SEARCH runs off two sets of CDs. These are updated asynchronously. When a search of the IGI at the keyboard there has collected
              the info wanted [or failed to!] then we press the F9 key and this shuts off the IGI and calls for the Addendum, which is a second data base. I get the impression that Addendum has those
              sources added to the IGI after the Extraction Programme got terminated around 1988.

              That amazing Programme went on for many years, LDS members reading original registers images so as to compile one- line indexes for each event, onto microfiche format. Until that 1988
              termination of the Extraction work;

              * The population growth, grossly exceeded the rate of IGI compilation
              * The availability of finance and volunteer LDS Church staff must have been a serious handicap to progress

              and the work stopped. But the various LDS Indexes such as "the OPR" are now used by registrars and libraries, in many countries.

              Cheers,

              ALISTAIR