Re: [scots-origins] An "English" question for Scot minds

  • Brenda & Tony MacCulloch
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 30, 2002
      I have a humourous story about Welsh ancestry.

      My grandfather was a bit of a mystery and was only re-discovered when my
      father and his siblings were middle-aged themselves, he had taken them to an
      orphange when their mother died and they hadn't see him again.

      Anyway, my Aunt was trying to get some intelligence about where he was from
      and he said WALES. That wasn't good enough for her so on his death bed she
      kept interrogating the poor old man and asking him WHERE IN WALES.. He
      opened one eye and said NEW SOUTH WALES and promptly died....

      So bit of black humour but there you are - wasn't Wales in the UK but
      New South Wales in Australia.

      cheers,

      Brenda
      Auckland
      New Zealand

    • butcher731@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 30, 2002
        Why lie? The Census form would have been filled out by the head of the
        household, I suppose, or at least the info supplied by him/her.

      • butcher731@aol.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 30, 2002
          The 1901 Census is now seachable on the web, if this helps. Try
          www.pro.gov.uk

        • erikyra
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 30, 2002
            Robin,

            Her birthplace on a census entry would depend on who filled in the
            form.
            a) If the head of household had to have help filling the form in a
            mistake could have been made.

            Have you had any luck with a birth certificate?

            Kate
            The Netherlands

            --- In scots-origins@y..., Robin Baker <omerus@t...> wrote:
            > A bit off topic I know, but I hope you will indulge me. We are all
            just
            > trying to get to the truth of things and who better than a Scot to
            give
            > you the dirt on things :-)
            >
            > I have a female relative that my family (more than one generation
            of
            > which) insist was from Wales, then married and relocated to
            Lambeth,
            > England. The problem is, census records do not back up the fact
            she was
            > born in Wales. Instead, I have a very viable lead to a women that
            > states on (two census') that she was born in Lambeth, England.
            >
            > What bugs me is "why lie"?
            > If she was actually born in Wales it would have been in 1862.
            Perhaps
            > there was a reason to do it then. Perhaps the family is wrong
            about her
            > being Welsh but there is strong insistance they are not. We are
            very
            > confused.
            >
            > Question: Is it likely someone would lie to census people about
            being
            > Welsh at that time? and if so, why?
            >
            > Robin
            > Rome, NY
          • dmatt
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 30, 2002
              Robin,

              I have a female relative that my family (more than one generation of
              >which) insist was from Wales, then married and relocated to Lambeth,
              >England. The problem is, census records do not back up the fact she was
              >born in Wales. Instead, I have a very viable lead to a women that
              >states on (two census') that she was born in Lambeth, England.
              >
              >What bugs me is "why lie"?
              >If she was actually born in Wales it would have been in 1862. Perhaps
              >there was a reason to do it then. Perhaps the family is wrong about her
              >being Welsh but there is strong insistance they are not. We are very
              >confused.
              >
              >Question: Is it likely someone would lie to census people about being
              >Welsh at that time? and if so, why?

              This seems odd, but you need to remember that the census returns were copied
              from the original enumerators returns, so a mistake may have occurred. When
              I looked for my grandmother (aged 3 in 1901) she had been listed as 13,
              likewise her sister and mother had 10 years added as well. One possibility
              is that your ancestor was born in Wales but baptised in Lambeth. I have an
              ancestor that was almost certainly born in the Channel Islands but his
              baptism is in Ireland!.

              David
              >A bit off topic I know, but I hope you will indulge me. We are all just
              >trying to get to the truth of things and who better than a Scot to give
              >you the dirt on things :-)
              >
              >I have a female relative that my family (more than one generation of
              >which) insist was from Wales, then married and relocated to Lambeth,
              >England. The problem is, census records do not back up the fact she was
              >born in Wales. Instead, I have a very viable lead to a women that
              >states on (two census') that she was born in Lambeth, England.
              >
              >What bugs me is "why lie"?
              >If she was actually born in Wales it would have been in 1862. Perhaps
              >there was a reason to do it then. Perhaps the family is wrong about her
              >being Welsh but there is strong insistance they are not. We are very
              >confused.
              >
              >Question: Is it likely someone would lie to census people about being
              >Welsh at that time? and if so, why?
              >
              >Robin
              >Rome, NY

            • Robin Baker
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 1, 2002
                Thanks to all who replied. This is my first attempt delving into the
                English side of the family and it has been an education from the beginning.

                Thanks again.

                Robin
                Rome, NY