Termination of Origins.net contract with the GROS

  • Ian Galbraith
    Message 1 of 41 , Aug 30, 2002
      Dear Scots Origins Discussion Group Member

      At midnight 31 August 2002 the contract Origins.net has had with the General
      Register Office for Scotland (GROS) since 1998 will end. The GROS indexes
      and images we currently provide will no longer be available on Scots Origins
      from 1 September. We have little information about the new GROS services
      and if you want to know more you may wish to contact them directly
      (records@...).

      We would like to thank all of you for your support over the past few years,
      as we built up and fine-tuned the Scots Origins services in response to your
      many welcome inputs. But Scots Origins continues to develop, and we trust
      that you will find the new services we are introducing of value to you.

      You will probably have received already a separate mailing about our new
      "Sighting Service" and some related services, one of which is an improved
      interface to the International Genealogical Index. This - as many of you
      are aware - contains indexes to much of the GROS material. The latter
      service (which is free) will allow you to search the IGI by parish, which is
      not currently possible on Family Search.

      We are working on some other major projects concerning important Scottish
      genealogical material which we hope to be able to tell you more about soon.

      We are as committed as we always have been to developing new and high
      quality services to the genealogical community (like our recently introduced
      Origin Search service) and as well as continuing to develop Scots Origins,
      we have several major projects about to begin covering other important
      British Isles genealogical data. We will keep you informed.

      I hope that you will continue to find the Scots Origins discussion group a
      useful means of sharing your interests in our mutual Scottish ancestry.

      Kind regards to you all

      Ian Galbraith
      Founder and Managing Director, Origins.net
    • nancy-scholz@webtv.net
      Message 41 of 41 , Sep 7, 2002
        Hi Ian, I also would like to thank you for the founding and
        contribution of scots origin site. It was a great help for me as well
        as others and I hope you will continue in the future. Good luck, your a
        great guy. Nancy

        Nan@...