Re: [scots-origins] Extracts of Birth & Baptism

  • Andrew Paterson
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 31, 2002
      Hi Elisabeth,

      I've never seen WA or MA, but it is almost certainly meaning "witnesses".
      Sometimes witnesses (normally two of) would be named. In other cases, I have
      seen "Witnesses the Congregation". In many (most?) cases, there is no
      mention of witnesses at all.

      All the best,

      Andrew Paterson (Edinburgh)

      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 31, 2002
        Thank you - that was my presumption - but I feel better hearing it from someone
        else.

        Elisabeth

        Andrew Paterson wrote:

        > Hi Elisabeth,
        >
        > I've never seen WA or MA, but it is almost certainly meaning "witnesses".
        > Sometimes witnesses (normally two of) would be named. In other cases, I have
        > seen "Witnesses the Congregation". In many (most?) cases, there is no
        > mention of witnesses at all.
        >
        > All the best,
        >
        > Andrew Paterson (Edinburgh)

      • Rena MCCARTHY
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 1, 2002
          Ref your query about WA - I believe it could be an abbreviation of
          'Witness Attesters', or 'Witnesses Attested'. I've got an 1833 Midlothian
          marriage cert. which names three 'Attesters'.

          Rena