RE: Illegitimacy on birth certificates

  • Eileen
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 28, 2002
      Nancy or Wayne:

      If you do some checking, I think that you will find that there is no
      "Scottish custom of the laird taking his rights the night of the wedding."
      Titles were not passed on to illegitimate children.
      Sounds like your family's version of "urban legends"!!

      Eileen

      >..In my own family my favourite
      > great aunt was one of many illegitimate due to the Scottish custom of the
      > laird taking his rights the night of the wedding....(P.S. it turned out
      > quite well for her family, as they were awarded the title that belonged
      > her father's family)
    • My Mailinglist
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 1, 2002
        On Fri, 28 Jun 2002 14:57:17 -0400, you wrote:

        >Nancy or Wayne:
        >
        >If you do some checking, I think that you will find that there is no
        >"Scottish custom of the laird taking his rights the night of the wedding."
        >Titles were not passed on to illegitimate children.
        >Sounds like your family's version of "urban legends"!!
        >
        >Eileen

        And the recent Mel Gibson film "Braveheart" did little to dispel the
        mith and probably reinforced it in fact.
      • Susan Mandersson
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 1, 2002
          Eileen;
          How do you know that this was not the custom - what's your source?

          Susan

          On Friday, June 28, 2002, at 12:57 PM, Eileen wrote:

          > Nancy or Wayne:
          >
          > If you do some checking, I think that you will find that there is no
          > "Scottish custom of the laird taking his rights the night of the
          > wedding."
          > Titles were not passed on to illegitimate children.
          > Sounds like your family's version of "urban legends"!!
        • Siren & J
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 2, 2002
            Eileen,

            While in general terms you are correct, it was not always the case. For
            instance, if all of the legitimate heirs perished (such as in a plague or
            somesuch), a titled individual could petition to have an illegitimate child
            recognized as the heir.

            Samantha

            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 2, 2002
              thank you Samantha for the partial verification, I'm in the process of
              checking my files, as my mother has had a stroke and I am having difficulty
              getting the paperwork I have surrounding my great aunt. I know we have it
              ,I just can't find it. My mom boxed a lot of this stuff up and can't
              remember where she put it. I spent the entire weekend looking in boxes..I
              have hand copied the information as mom did not want the documents in
              question to leave the house, I would like to send the scan of the original
              birth certificate and the article that went with it...Please allow me a
              little more time, to hopefully prove my point...thanks all
              God Bless
              Nancy