Re: [scots-origins] Effie

  • Mary Watson
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 5, 2002
      Effie - probably Euphemia.

      ---
    • Siren & J
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 5, 2002
        My great aunt Effie was actually my great aunt Euphemia.

        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 5, 2002
          Euphemia?

          Maben
          --- sandra astbury <sandraastbury@...>
          wrote: > I have come across the name Effie in my
          family tree
          > - on 1881 census, a sister is mentioned as Peggy
          > which I know is Margaret - but Effie? Could anybody
          > help with what this could be short for?

          > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          http://uk.my.yahoo.com
        • Andrew Paterson
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 5, 2002
            Hi Sandra,

            Effie is normally short for Euphemia.

            According to Chambers' Dictionary, Euphemia is shortened to: Effie, Euphan,
            Euphie, Phemie (pronounced fame-ee) and Phamie. I have also heard it
            shortened to Fay, which this dicionary lists as a name of separate origine
            from Euphemia.

            All the best,

            Andrew Paterson

            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 5, 2002
              On Sun, 2 Jun 2002 00:41:48 +0100 (BST), you wrote:

              >[snip]t - but Effie? Could anybody help with what this could be short for?

              Euphemia
            • Bnelslane@aol.com
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 5, 2002
                My husbands English grandmother was just "Effie". It was her middle name and
                the one she always used. Beverley in cool & very wet IL.
              • MVIVIEN211@aol.com
                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 5, 2002
                  Euphemia

                • Alison Fraser
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 5, 2002
                    From memory - Euphemia - I think I would prefer to be called 'effie'.

                    Alison Fraser (Wgtn., NZ)
                    > I have come across the name Effie in my family tree - on 1881 census, a
                    sister is mentioned as Peggy which I know is Margaret - but Effie? Could
                    anybody help with what this could be short for?

                  • Iain A Ramsay
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jun 5, 2002
                      All the Effies I have known were baptised Euphemia.

                      Iain A Ramsay
                    • Jmesbrock@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jun 5, 2002
                        sandraastbury@... writes:

                        > I have come across the name Effie in my family tree - on 1881 census, a
                        > sister is mentioned as Peggy which I know is Margaret - but Effie? Could
                        > anybody help with what this could be short for?

                        Effie is the pet form of Euphemia regularly used as an independent name from
                        1860 onwards according to the Dictionary of First Names by Dunkling & Gosling

                      • Patricia Spaull
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jun 5, 2002
                          Possibly Euphemia
                          > I have come across the name Effie in my family tree - on 1881 census, a
                          sister is mentioned as Peggy which I know is Margaret - but Effie? Could
                          anybody help with what this could be short for?

                        • catherine
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jun 5, 2002
                            > I have come across the name Effie in my family tree - on 1881 census, a
                            sister is mentioned as Peggy which I know is Margaret - but Effie? Could
                            anybody help with what this could be short for?

                            From having several Effies in my family, I can say that it is short for
                            Euphemia.

                            Catherine

                          • MoiraC40@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jun 6, 2002
                              Sandra...."Euphemia" ( pronounced ' youfeemia' ) was the name Effie was
                              derived from ,... I think. It's a name we hardly ever hear these days other
                              than in old books and genealogy papers. ..and thank goodness say I........!!
                              MoiraC.
                            • sandra astbury
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jun 6, 2002
                                Many thanks to you all who answered my query
                              • Adhani√°
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jun 7, 2002
                                  Yes, it's nearly as bad as "Sophronia", in my line, once a very popular
                                  name! LOL

                                  MacMullenChild

                                  > Sandra...."Euphemia" ( pronounced ' youfeemia' ) was the name Effie
                                  was
                                  > derived from ,... I think. It's a name we hardly ever hear these days
                                  other
                                  > than in old books and genealogy papers. ..and thank goodness say
                                  > MoiraC.
                                  <snip>

                                  ---