Re:Ages in 1841 Census

  • Gavin Bell
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 30, 2002
      Lynn wrote:

      > Can someone tell me if the 1841 census was rounded up to the nearest
      > 5 or 10 or rounded down,

      Ages up to 15 were supposed to be given exactly. Ages above that were
      supposed to be rounded down (ie a 23-year-old would be listed as 20).
      But there are many "wrong" entries.

      > if it's down I've a problem to solve like my granddad x3 married an 11
      > year old

      Just as they were not particulary bothered about spelling of names,
      people at that date were not so hung up about exact ages - "11" may have
      been someone's best guess. And an 11-year old bride, while distasteful
      to our
      way of thinking, was not impossible. Up until 1929, the official
      minimum
      ages were 14 for a man and 12 for a woman.

      Gavin Bell