Re: [scots-origins] Braes of Scotland

  • dmatt
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1, 2002
      Gwen,

      I am doing research for my godfather who's last name is Braes. He
      >comes from the Clydebank area originally. I was wondering if anyone
      >could tell me how I can find when the name came to Scotland.

      If you go to the frontpage of Scots Origins there is a surname search
      facility. This shows that the first entry for Braes was 1714 (just before
      the Jacobite Rebellion), for Brae in 1618 and for Bray in 1561. The
      FamilySearch website at http://www.familysearch.org shows a number of Braes
      from Eibergen in Gelderland and others from Gouda and Rotterdam in
      Zuid-Holland around the same period.

      If you go into Scots Origins and pay for the first Braes baptism entry in
      1714, it may link into the records from Eibergen as there appear to be no
      entries on FamilySearch from the 1720s. This might have something to do with
      the Pilgrim Fathers but my recollection of this date is hazy.

      I hope this helps.

      David
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 1, 2002
        Hi Gwen

        Black's Surnames of Scotland suggests it is a local name current in
        Linlithgow and Musselburgh but gives no indication of its origin.

      • scottish3gen@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 1, 2002
          Hello To All! I have been away from Scots-Origin for a few months and am now
          just returning. I haven't had much luck with trying to find information on my
          family that I know came from Scotland. I guess it's because I don't have alot
          of particulars. The one thing I do notice in reading the e-mails that come
          across on a daily basis is the different towns, villiages, townships etc that
          Scotland has. I do not know them and would like to ask if someone can point
          me in the right direction of such information for Glasgow and Edinburgh for
          the period of 1800-1860. The surnames I am looking for are Alexander from
          Glasgow, Thompson from Edinburgh, and Waters from somewhere in the Highlands.
          Maybe if I knew the areas better in that time period it might help me ask
          more intelligent questions. Also, how do you know if you found the right
          surname that is your ancestor? In searching ship records from Scotland bound
          for New York Harbor I have found many William Alexander's. I am awaiting
          information from 2 places that might narrow it down but sometimes I feel very
          mind boggled!

          Thank you for any help that anyone can give me.

          Have a great week-end.

          Jacky K.

          Brooklyn, New York, U.S.A.
        • scottish3gen@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 1, 2002
            Also can someone tell me where to find "Info Disk 2000 se"? And tell me what
            it is and what information is on it?

            Thanks again.

            Jacky K.

            Brooklyn, New York, U.S.A.