Braes of Scotland

  • gwatsonabbott
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 28, 2002
      I am doing research for my godfather who's last name is Braes. He
      comes from the Clydebank area originally. I was wondering if anyone
      could tell me how I can find when the name came to Scotland. It
      originates in the Netherlands somewhere apparently. I did various
      searches on the internet but nothing. There are not too many of
      these Braes(with this spelling) in other parts of the world from what
      I have been told. If anyone can help direct me to the best subject
      matter I can search by that would be greatly appreciated.

      Gwen
      Canada
    • alex_blair_uk
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 1 7:50 AM
        Hello Gwen.

        I used "Info-Disk 2000 se" to search all the regions of Scotland for
        recent instances of the name "Braes",

        A significant result was the number for:
        Isle of Shetland = 30 plus.

        I am inclined to conclude that this is where the name originated and
        that it has since spread to the following areas:

        West Lothian = 12
        Renfrewshire = 9
        Angus = 8
        Fife = 6
        Glasgow = 5
        Midlothian = 3
        Clackmannanshire = 3
        Edinburgh = 2
        Dunbartonshire = 2
        Dundee = 1
        Aberdeenshire = 1

        Alex Blair, 15 miles west of Edinburgh, Scotland.

        Message: 19

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 1 9:25 AM
          Gwen,

          I am doing research for my godfather who's last name is Braes. He
          >comes from the Clydebank area originally. I was wondering if anyone
          >could tell me how I can find when the name came to Scotland.

          If you go to the frontpage of Scots Origins there is a surname search
          facility. This shows that the first entry for Braes was 1714 (just before
          the Jacobite Rebellion), for Brae in 1618 and for Bray in 1561. The
          FamilySearch website at http://www.familysearch.org shows a number of Braes
          from Eibergen in Gelderland and others from Gouda and Rotterdam in
          Zuid-Holland around the same period.

          If you go into Scots Origins and pay for the first Braes baptism entry in
          1714, it may link into the records from Eibergen as there appear to be no
          entries on FamilySearch from the 1720s. This might have something to do with
          the Pilgrim Fathers but my recollection of this date is hazy.

          I hope this helps.

          David

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 1 12:44 PM
            Hi Gwen

            Black's Surnames of Scotland suggests it is a local name current in
            Linlithgow and Musselburgh but gives no indication of its origin.

          • scottish3gen@aol.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 1 2:14 PM
              Hello To All! I have been away from Scots-Origin for a few months and am now
              just returning. I haven't had much luck with trying to find information on my
              family that I know came from Scotland. I guess it's because I don't have alot
              of particulars. The one thing I do notice in reading the e-mails that come
              across on a daily basis is the different towns, villiages, townships etc that
              Scotland has. I do not know them and would like to ask if someone can point
              me in the right direction of such information for Glasgow and Edinburgh for
              the period of 1800-1860. The surnames I am looking for are Alexander from
              Glasgow, Thompson from Edinburgh, and Waters from somewhere in the Highlands.
              Maybe if I knew the areas better in that time period it might help me ask
              more intelligent questions. Also, how do you know if you found the right
              surname that is your ancestor? In searching ship records from Scotland bound
              for New York Harbor I have found many William Alexander's. I am awaiting
              information from 2 places that might narrow it down but sometimes I feel very
              mind boggled!

              Thank you for any help that anyone can give me.

              Have a great week-end.

              Jacky K.

              Brooklyn, New York, U.S.A.
            • scottish3gen@aol.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 1 2:16 PM
                Also can someone tell me where to find "Info Disk 2000 se"? And tell me what
                it is and what information is on it?

                Thanks again.

                Jacky K.

                Brooklyn, New York, U.S.A.