Re: [scots-origins] IGI and Scots Origins

    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 28, 2002
      106200.1510@... writes:

      > If we're going to be really exact, let me just correct that last
      > statement <g>.................
      Hi David

      Since I said around 1874 I think it was reasonably accurate if we are talking
      about 1875 and you do say in your reply 'up to and including 1875 (there can
      be some variation in the end date)'.

      The long explanation given is informative and useful but aren't we wandering
      from the point of my original reply? There is nothing in your message which
      contradicts the point I made that entries can be found in the IGI without
      there being a 'FR' number on the Scots Origins entry whereas the claim was
      made that the absence of a 'FR' number meant that the entry would not be
      found on the IGI. The user notes on Scots Origins appear to support what I
      have said or are they incorrect? Again, to quote you, your message includes
      ..As regards frames numbers, if such appears in an SO entry....

      I agree that the presence of a Frame Number is a valuable piece of
      information when viewing the unindexed films of what were records that varied
      in format from time to time within a parish, let alone from parish to parish,
      and depended on the inclination of the record keeper when they were written
      up.

      As to the IGI, it is a tremendous piece of work and we should all be pleased
      to have it available. I have come across entries in it dated as recently as
      1917 and records of the Free Church, Associate Session Church, United
      Presbyterian Church and the Relief Church to mention a few. I have records
      for some of my own ancestors who were christened in the Established Church in
      Enzie and a few days later the Free Church again in Enzie. However, I find
      entries for 1881 and 1891 scarce on the ground when using the Custom Search
      facility.