Armit surname

  • James Mackay
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2002
      Could some kind person please look up the origins of the surname "Armit" in Black's book?

      Thanks, James Mackay

    • davidwwebsteruk
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 2, 2002
        Hi James

        Quote "Armit, Mariot Armit in Strogeth, n.d. (Dunblane) and George
        Armittwas shipmaster in St Andrews, 1751 (St.Andrews). Perhaps from
        ME (h)ermit, "a hermit" cf English surname ARMITAGE. ENDQUOTE

        dAVID

        --- In scots-origins@y..., "James Mackay" <mac@a...> wrote:
        > Could some kind person please look up the origins of the
        surname "Armit" in Black's book?

        > Thanks, James Mackay

      • leighbrookland361
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 3, 2002
          --- In scots-origins@y..., "James Mackay" <mac@a...> wrote:
          > Could some kind person please look up the origins of the
          surname "Armit" in Black's book?

          > Thanks, James Mackay

          Hi James
          The Armit name caught my eye, are you connected to this family. I am
          decended from the Armits from Fife. Could there be a connection?

          Regards
          Leigh
          NZ
        • Margaret ODonnell
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 3, 2002
            ARMIT
            --------
            Mariota Armit is recorded in Strogeth , n.d. ( Dunblane ) and George Armitt
            was shipmaster in St. Andrews , 1751 ( St. Andrews ). Perhaps from M.E.
            (h)ermite,' a hermit '. Cf. English surname Armitage.
            > Could some kind person please look up the origins of the surname "Armit"
            in Black's book?

            > Thanks, James Mackay

          • James Mackay
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 5, 2002
              > Hi James
              > The Armit name caught my eye, are you connected to this family. I am
              > decended from the Armits from Fife. Could there be a connection?

              Hi Leigh,
              My wife's g.grandmother was Agnes Armit, daughter of Andrew Armit (b.1841 Largo), and Agnes Wallace.
              All the best, James