Re: [scots-origins] Streets in Edinburgh Elder Street & Braid Crescent & Morningside Road & Masonic Hall on Graham Street

  • Andrew Paterson
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 31, 2002
      Hi Heather,

      > Does anyone know if these streets still exist and what area of Edinburgh
      they are in?
      > Is there a site similiar to one in Glasgow that shows old pictures of
      streets in Edinburgh?
      > Is the Masonic Hall on Graham Street, Edinburgh still there?

      57 Elder Street (city centre, East End)
      Most of Elder Street was demolished at the end of the 1960s to make room for
      the St James Centre. The only numbers still appearing in the Postcode
      directory are even numbers 30 - 38. I am fairly sure these are immediately
      round the corner from York Place (continuation eastwards of Queen Street - a
      stone's throw from New Register House).

      257 Morningside Road, Edinburgh (Morningside)
      That is close to where I lived for my first 26 years. It is a victorian
      tenement building (probably 1870s) - for those who know the area, just down
      the hill from the Canny Man's (pub). As I can picture it, this is a 3-storey
      tenement over a row of shops (probably 2 or 3 houses per storey) immediately
      south of Jordan Lane. Definitely still standing.

      18 Braid Crescent, Edinburgh (Morningside / Braids)
      This is in a row of large terraced houses (built c1890) about a quarter of a
      mile south of 257 Morningside Road. 18 is on the south sideof the street.
      Definitely still standing.

      Masonic Hall, Graham Street (Tollcross)
      > The minister was R or K Sangster Anderson, Minister of Barclay Church,
      Edinburgh.
      There are two Graham Streets. One is in Leith, but I think it is the other
      in Tollcross that you are asking about. That one is about half a mile from
      Barclay Church. The postcode directory shows no addresses in that Graham
      Street. I think the buildings that were there (on the west side) were
      cleared (probably in the 1970s) to make room for the Hunter Building of the
      Edinburgh College of Art.
      The postcode directory shows no Masonic Hall in Graham Street, Leith.

      The best way for you to see these on a map is at www.streetmap.co.uk by
      entering the postcode. You can zoom in and out using the plus and minus
      signs under the map and see an aerial view of each area (using the camera
      button under the map.

      30-38 Elder Street - EH1 3DX
      253-265 Morningside Road - EH10 4RD
      2-42 Braid Crescent - EH10 6AX
      Kier Street - EH3 9NU (round the corner from Graham Street (Tollcross)
      Graham Street (Leith) - EH6 5QN (also 5QR and 5QS)

      Please contact me directly if you want any more information regarding these
      places - particularly the Morningside Road and Braid Crescent ones (as I
      know that area very well).

      All the best,

      Andrew Paterson
      adp@...
    • Eileen
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 31, 2002
        Heather:

        All the streets are still there.
        Up until 1960, Morningside Road and Braid Crescent were nice middle-class
        areas.

        Eileen

        > 57 Elder Street is written inside my grandmother's bible.
        > 257 Morningside Road, Edinburgh is the address for my grandfather George
        Greig Moncur Fraser on their marriage registry
        > 18 Braid Crescent, Edinburgh is the address for my grandmother Mary
        Stewart on their marriage registry