Re: [scots-origins] Re:Did my relatives live in a cemetery

  • ScotHeritage@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 31, 2002
      In a message dated 1/31/02 5:38:46 AM Central Standard Time, g.bell@...
      writes:

      > > He could well of been a caretaker at the cemetry and doubled as a
      > > watchman at night. All old Scottish cemeteries are walled and gated,
      > > at least those in the larger towns and villages to prevent body
      > > snatchers and to keep out the fairies.
      >
      > Nice story, Dave, but not really relevant in this case. The
      > bodysnatchers were a problem in the late 18th and early 19th century,
      > but following the Anatomy Act of 1832, the bottom fell out of the
      > secondhand corpse trade. The query was about an address in 1881 - half
      > a century later.
      >

      > Gavin Bell

      Yes, I understand that. What I meant, and I understood what I meant in my
      mind honest, and my messages will be easier if and when you employ a psychic
      to translate the differences between what I am thinking and what I am writing
      hahaha. What I meant was that the houses were there from the old days of gate
      keepers etc, so that may of been the residence they were given as part of
      their employment. That is why they lived in a cemetery. I hope that makes it
      clearer. Sorry
      Dave