Re: [scots-origins] Finding: Drimdrisaig

  • Dorothy Nicassio
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 23, 2002
      Dear Joy,
      According to my 1882 Gazetteer of Scotland, Drimdrissaig is in Knapdale
      Parish, Argyll. Of course I don't know if Knapdale is still the name of the
      parish. In looking it up there is a district of north and south Knapdale in
      addition to the parish. But it seems to be somewhere in the vicinity of
      Tarbert and Jura which are the 2 names that are familiar to me and probably
      to you. This is a bit vague, but hope it is of some help to you....Happy
      hunting, Dorothy

      Dorothy Nicassio; pict2@...

    • Joy
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 23, 2002
        Sounds close to the vicinity I expected. Will investigate further.
        Thanks so much!
        Joy

        Dorothy Nicassio wrote:

        >Dear Joy,
        >According to my 1882 Gazetteer of Scotland, Drimdrissaig is in Knapdale
        >Parish, Argyll. Of course I don't know if Knapdale is still the name of the
        >parish.

      • David
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 11, 2012
          I am about to stay for two days at the Kiberry Inn to locate what remains I can of family and there dwellings. They are in the 1861 census as Archibald McTaggart married to Isabella McMillan in Drimdrisaig South Knapdale. This was McMillan territory in the old days but by this time all the estates were in the hands of Cambells.
          On the Ordnance Survey maps it is usuallt spelled Druimdrisaig. In the 19th century it has considerable poverty.
          David