Catholic Bap.Register Inverness 1850/51

  • Joan Purker
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 3, 2001
      Dear List,

      I recently obtained baptismal details on an ancestor from the Inverness
      Catholic Church Register via NAS. I had spent some time searching for this
      lady via GROS and Scots-Origins and no one in the family knew her to be a
      practising Catholic at any time. However, the fact that her Father was
      listed in the 1851 Census as being born in Ireland finally made me pursue
      this possibility through a researcher, especially once I found out that
      there were no Catholic B/D/M's at GROS or on Scots-Origins.

      The other entries have made me wonder if the Catholic Church made it a
      practise of baptising the illegitimate children of non-Catholics, for of
      the 5 entries on the page from the Baptismal Register 1851-75, only one
      couple appear to be married and Catholic; they also happened to be mine. If
      this was the case, then I also wonder if we may find some of our missing
      folk in the Catholic Registers as opposed to the GROS where we might have
      expected to find them?

      I will list the entries, copied as worded, in the hope that some of the
      names may be of assistance to other researchers. Note the small or
      lower-case "p" in protestant. And for those of you up against a brick
      wall, let me tell you the lady I searched for, baptised as Jude, in further
      documentation became Judy then Jessie and finally settled for Julia and the
      Episcopalian Church.

      Regards
      Joan

      Born 16th September 1850:
      George, said by the mother Mary MacDonald to be the son of John Innes, both
      protestants, 16th day of September 1850 was baptised by me the 26th day of
      January 1851.
      Sponsors: the undersigned and Ann Murdoch
      Signed: John MacLachlan

      Born 30 November 1850:
      Donald, son of James Wilson and Isabella Cameron born the 30th day of
      November 1850 was baptised by me on the 9th day of February 1851. Both
      parents were protestants.
      Sponsors: Ewan Donohoe and Ann Murdoch
      Signed: John MacLachlan

      Born 26th January 1851:
      Jude, lawful daughter of Ewan Donohoe and Jessie MacPherson born the 26th
      day of January 1851, was baptised by me the 9th day of February following.
      The Sponsors were: William Chisholm and Ann Murdoch
      Signed: John MacLachlan
      (mine)

      Born 4th January 1849:
      Jane, said by the mother Jane Fraser to the daughter of Alexander Fraser,
      both protestants, born the 4th day of January 1849 was baptised by me on
      the 16th day of February 1851.
      Sponsors: the undersigned and Catharine Forbes
      Signed: John MacLachlan

      Born 31st August 1850:
      Anabella, said by the mother Ann Forbes to the daughter of David Shaw, both
      protestants, born 31st day of August 1850 was baptised by me on the 16th
      day of February 1851,
      Sponsors: the undersigned and Catherine Forbes
      Signed: John MacLachlan