Blackwood

  • Janette Robertson
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 31, 2001
      Hi Looking for any info on my Blackwoods.
      John Blackwood born about 1829 lanark scotland served in India 72nd foot of albany own highlanders no 2977.singed up about 1849.
      married Janet Morrison April 1849 Glasgow.Both down as deceased on sons marriage cert 1880 dont know where or when.

      Children.
      Charles Blackwood b.a.1851 Glasgow later in 72nd foot
      1881 census info.
      Institution: "Stirling Castle" Married Quarters Castlehill
      Census Place: Stirling, Stirling, Scotland
      Source: FHL Film 0203546 GRO Ref Volume 490 EnumDist 24 Page 13
      Marr Age Sex Birthplace
      Charles BLACKWOOD M 29 M Barony, Lanark, Scotland
      Rel: Head
      Occ: L. Corpl. 72nd Regt.
      Jane BLACKWOOD M 23 F Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland
      Rel: Wife
      Occ: L. Corpl. 72nd Regt. Wife
      Fraser BLACKWOOD 6 m M St. Ninians, Stirling, Scotland
      Rel: Son

      George morrison Blackwood born 1855 Glasgow died 1856 Glasgow.

      Mary Blackwood c. 6th jan 1863 MHOW west Bengal India. dont know what happened to her.

      John Blackwood b.15th sept 1864 christened 2nd october 1864 Mhow west Bengal
      1881 census.
      Institution: Knellar Hall
      Census Place: Twickenham, Middlesex, England
      Source: FHL Film 1341326 PRO Ref RG11 Piece 1343 Folio 119 Page 36
      John BLACKWOOD U 16 M East Indies
      Rel: Student
      Occ: Private 58th Brigade Depot
      John Married Catherine Lithgow.in Edinburgh.
      any help very much welcome
      Janette

    • chasbduk
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 22, 2001
        Ref message19248
        I am recently registered and doing some genealogy research
        Full name Charles Blackwood,living in Lancs.
        Family origins[paternal]-Glasgow
        Currently trying to locate my natural grandfather,Charles Fenner
        Blackwood,last heard of in 1913 and divorced in his absence in 1919
        Any info appreciated

        > Source: FHL Film 1341326 PRO Ref RG11 Piece 1343 Folio
        119 Page 36
        > John BLACKWOOD U 16 M East Indies
        > Rel: Student
        > Occ: Private 58th Brigade Depot
        > John Married Catherine Lithgow.in Edinburgh.
        > any help very much welcome
        > Janette

      • christine paton
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 29, 2001
          Have a Grace Blackwood who married a Thomas Hamilton
          and had a son James Blackwood Hamilton approx 1864.
          Have no more information on Grace Blackwood except she
          died before 1894. Her son married Matilda Robertson
          in 1894 at Blantyre.

          Any connection?

          Christine

          http://greetings.yahoo.com
        • chasbduk
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 6, 2002
            --- In scots-origins@y..., christine paton <christinelouiseuk@y...>
            wrote:
            > Have a Grace Blackwood who married a Thomas Hamilton
            > and had a son James Blackwood Hamilton approx 1864.
            > Have no more information on Grace Blackwood except she
            > died before 1894. Her son married Matilda Robertson
            > in 1894 at Blantyre.
            >
            > Any connection?
            >
            > Christine

            > http://greetings.yahoo.com
          • chasbduk
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 6, 2002
              Ref message 20196 and apologies for any repeated messages
              To Christine
              Sorry,but info on 20196 not applicable.
              Still looking for any info on Charles Fenner Blackwood,born 1885 in
              St Rollox,Glasgow
              Can anyone out there help?
              Regards
              chasbd.

            • chasbduk
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 21, 2002
                To Jannette [also Christine]
                Hi Jannette.
                The info you sent me directly in December ref Benjamin Blackwood and
                Mary Fenner was spot on and referred to my greatgrandfather and
                greatgrandmother. My missing grandfather is their son,Charles Fenner
                Blackwood whom I am seeking.
                I have tried to contact you twice by direct e-mail but both messages
                were returned.
                Thank you for this.With respect to your own searches which appear to
                have a military background I have searched but without success as yet
                Kindest regards
                Chas
              • janette@janette96.freeserve.co.uk
                Message 7 of 7 , May 27, 2002
                  Hi List ,

                  I am trying to find a connection to see if this is my Line.I am trying to find parents of John BLACKWOOD,or any other info.I cannot find a death record for John he married Janet MORRISON

                  1849

                  John Blackwood, Grinder in Glasgow, & Janet Morrison residing there, married 30th April by Mr Robert Gillan one of the Ministers of Glasgow

                  no parents names are listed on OPR.John Enlisted in the 72nd regiment of the Seaforth highlanders about 1849 army number 2977 Cant find anything on his army carear last sightings i have for him is the birth of his son John in India 1863 when on his son Johns enlistment in 1878 it has both his parents deceased.

                  Names of Johns Children .

                  female sometime between 1851-1854

                  Charles Blackwood b.a 1851 Glasgow married 1880 stirling Annie (Jane) Corbett b, Glasgow 1857-1861.

                  George Morrison Blackwood b. 1855 Glasgow 99 Gallowgate died 1856 Carlton

                  Mary Blackwood b. 6th Jan 1863 Mhow west Bengal India.

                  John Blackwood . b.sept 1864 Mhow west Bengal India.

                  This is the only JOHN and JANET i can find on 1851 census with the right ages any feed back would be most welcome on this.

                  1851 Census. Glasgow City - East

                  Parish: St Johns District:570 Book:1 Page 19

                  (nb District 570 was renumbered to 644 on the micro films)

                  113 Gallowgate St

                  Name Rel Condt Age Occupation Born

                  John Blackwood Head Mar 21 Journeyman Cutler Glasgow, St James

                  Janet " Wife Mar 21 "

                  Mary " Wid 40 Lanark Rutherglen

                  James Blackwood U 10 Glasgow St James

                  Mary " Daur U 8 "

                  Charles " Son U 1.5 "

                  The Mother Mary on this census is Mary URIE married Charles BLACKWOOD.

                  Details of Marys Death.

                  644/10 733

                  Mary Blackwood Widow of Charles Blackwood, Cutler (Master)

                  15 November 1887 6 a.m. 1 Gladstone Place, Glasgow Aged 71

                  Robert Urie Hand Loom Weaver (dec) & Margaret Watson (dec)

                  Bronchitis 3 months

                  Registered by Thomas Farmer, son in law 15 November 1887 Glasgow

                  I do have 1881-1891 census details of the FARMER family,Thomas FARMER born 1840 glasgow Married Mary BLACKWOOD 1862.

                  BACK to John on his sons birth cert of 1855 details below.

                  644/2-816 High Church, Glasgow George Morrison Blackwood
                  1855 April 23, 3hAM 99 Gallowgate, Glasgow
                  F: John Blackwood, grinder (soldier), aged 25, born Rutherglen
                  Married: April 1849, Glasgow, 1 boy living, 1 girl deceased
                  M: Janet M/S Morrison, her 3rd child-aged 25, bor Gallowgate, Glasgow
                  Inf: Janet Blackwood, x her mark, mother

                  He died in 1856 aged 1 in Calton parish.

                  Any Help on this family most welcome Janette