Looking for help with Origins (DIXON)

  • insideBLUE
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 31, 2001
      Greetings

      I am looking for help looking for my family origins. I have some
      information that I have been using to try and trace where I am from, but so
      far I have found nothing.

      If anyone could do a look-up in the 1871 and/or 1881 census trying to find
      George DIXON (b. 1846) and Catherine ARMSTRONG (b. 1859).

      With good luck you will find them together in the 1881 census, including
      some children.

      Here is the information that I know.

      Parents.

      John Armstrong Dixon b.january 23.1941
      Blanche Doris Gullison b.march 9.1941
      Married ?? Going to find out.

      My dads parents

      Walter Armstrong Dixon b.1901
      Thora Evelan Wooley b.1909 (Halifax I think)
      Hard to find the dates they died as he does not like talking about it.

      Walter had 2 brothers

      John Armstrong Dixon b.1894 d.1957
      George F Dixon b.1898 d.1966

      Walters Parents

      George Dixon b.1846 d.1916
      Catherine Armstrong b.1859 d.1923
    • m.s.rodger@bham.ac.uk
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 31, 2001
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 31, 2001
          --- In scots-origins@y..., insideBLUE <gaelen@i...> wrote:
          > Greetings
          >
          > I am looking for help looking for my family origins. I have some
          > information that I have been using to try and trace where I am
          from, but so
          > far I have found nothing.
          >
          > If anyone could do a look-up in the 1871 and/or 1881 census trying
          to find
          > George DIXON (b. 1846) and Catherine ARMSTRONG (b. 1859).
          >
          > With good luck you will find them together in the 1881 census,
          including
          > some children.
          >
          > Here is the information that I know.
          >
          > Parents.
          >
          > John Armstrong Dixon b.january 23.1941
          > Blanche Doris Gullison b.march 9.1941
          > Married ?? Going to find out.
          >
          > My dads parents
          >
          > Walter Armstrong Dixon b.1901
          > Thora Evelan Wooley b.1909 (Halifax I think)
          > Hard to find the dates they died as he does not like talking about
          it.

          > Walter had 2 brothers
          >
          > John Armstrong Dixon b.1894 d.1957
          > George F Dixon b.1898 d.1966
          >
          > Walters Parents
          >
          > George Dixon b.1846 d.1916
          > Catherine Armstrong b.1859 d.1923

          Hi, insideBLUE: I looked through the 1881 (Lowlands) census and the
          only George Dixon (not Dickson) that I could find around the birth
          date you give is as follows:

          Dwelling: 6 Atholl Gards
          Census Place: Govan, Lanark, Scotland
          Source: FHL Film 0203691 GRO Ref Volume 646-2
          EnumDist 34 Page 17
          Marr Age Sex Birthplace

          George DIXON M 34 M Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland
          Rel: Head
          Occ: Member Of Glasgow Stock Exchange
          Alice M. A. DIXON M 21 F England
          Rel: Wife
          Mary MC GUIRE U 25 F Doune, Perth, Scotland
          Rel: Servt
          Occ: Domestic Servant
          George C. DIXON 2 M Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland
          Rel: Son
          Christina MC LEOD U 25 F Glenetive, Argyll,
          Scotland
          Rel: Servt
          Occ: Domestic Servant
          Eliza J. D. PENNEY U 21 F England
          Rel: Servt
          Occ: Domestic Servant

          As you can see, the wife's name does not agree with your Catherine,
          but I send this on the offchance that it may be of some help to you.

          Regards, Ann, WI. USA.
        • cath mcbay
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 1, 2001
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 2, 2001
              Hello, could some one that can get hold of the 1871 census find a Jane and
              James Spence? Much thanks to any one. I hope for some lead. Delores Smart
              Ferguson USA