Re: [scots-origins] Re: "The Doric"

  • Dorothy Nicassio
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 29, 2001
      Tim,
      The Doric is still being spoken. I have relatives from Ellon and they
      speak the Doric when there. When in Canada they speak standard English,
      albeit with a slight brogue....Somebody just recently wrote to try
      Amazon.com. Dorothy

      Dorothy Nicassio; pict2@...

    • Adhaniá
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 29, 2001
        I missed this...is Doric a Greek language? Spoken in Scotland?

        Adhaniá Olson

        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 30, 2001
          Tolegranny (?) wrote:

          > This thread is so interesting. I never knew about other languages
          > spoken in Scotland besides Gaelic and English.

          Just in case I didn't make the point clearly enough before, can I stress
          that "The Doric" (more correctly the Buchan dialect) DEFINITELY IS a
          variety of what the linguists call "Scottish English". A very
          individual version, and one very hard for incomers to follow, but, based
          on its grammar and vocabulary, quite clearly part of the great family of
          English. The rash of "Teach Yourself Doric" books, which I and Calum
          have quoted are really part of the Nostalgia Industry, and the
          suggestion that "The Doric" is a separate language is not to be taken
          literally.

          Gavin Bell
        • Calum Harvie
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 1, 2001
            Just being a bit pedantic here, but it is probably worth noting that Doric
            isn't actually a language but is a variety of Scots (which in turn is a
            variety of English). Sure it has plenty unique elements which give the
            impression of an actual language, but it isn't really the same as, for
            example, Gaelic. Sorry to "nit-pick"!

            Rgds

            Calum
            Sent: Saturday, September 29, 2001 5:43 PM

            > Tim,
            > The Doric is still being spoken. I have relatives from Ellon and they
            > speak the Doric when there. When in Canada they speak standard English,
            > albeit with a slight brogue....Somebody just recently wrote to try
            > Amazon.com. Dorothy
            >
            > Dorothy Nicassio; pict2@...

          • Adhaniá
            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 1, 2001
              Does anyone know more about "The Doric"? Where is originated, if it is
              written, still spoken, anything at all?

              Thank you in advance...
              Adhaniá Olson

              > Just being a bit pedantic here, but it is probably worth noting that Doric
              > isn't actually a language but is a variety of Scots (which in turn is a
              > variety of English). Sure it has plenty unique elements which give the
              > impression of an actual language, but it isn't really the same as, for
              > example, Gaelic. Sorry to "nit-pick"!
              >
              > Rgds
              >
              > Calum
              > Sent: Saturday, September 29, 2001 5:43 PM
              > Subject: Re: [scots-origins] Re: "The Doric"
              >

              > > Tim,
              > > The Doric is still being spoken. I have relatives from Ellon and
              they
              > > speak the Doric when there. When in Canada they speak standard English,
              > > albeit with a slight brogue....Somebody just recently wrote to try
              > > Amazon.com. Dorothy
              > >
              > > Dorothy Nicassio; pict2@...

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • Adhaniá
              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 1, 2001
                Dorothy, any chance at all that you might record your relatives speaking the
                Doric, and sending the sound files out to us, or putting them on the
                website? That way we could actually hear this!

                Adhaniá

                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 1, 2001
                    Ah ha! So is it possible that the "hatsht" "matsht" "dispalsht" on the back
                    of my Andrew Johnston of Renny Hill Fife Oil, is in Doric??

                    The "p" in dis"p"alsht looks more like a German beta that looks like a small
                    cursive f. If the person were German it would be written dissalsht.

                    Does the "written" word of Doric use beta's?

                    Thank you for an oh so interesting thread.

                    Eleanor Lee
                    > Does anyone know more about "The Doric"? Where is originated, if it is
                    > written, still spoken, anything at all?
                    >
                    > Thank you in advance...
                    > Adhaniá Olson

                  • ksgray
                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 1, 2001
                      Calum
                      Nothing wrong with nit-picking.
                      I would disagree that Scots is a variety of English; It does come from the
                      same early roots, as we all do, but does qualify as a language in its own
                      right.
                      Kenny

                    • rosaline furnivall
                      Message 10 of 15 , Oct 1, 2001
                        Calum Harvie wrote:
                        >Just being a bit pedantic here, but it is probably worth noting that Doric
                        >isn't actually a language but is a variety of Scots (which in turn is a
                        >variety of English). Sure it has plenty unique elements which give the
                        >impression of an actual language, but it isn't really the same as, for
                        >example, Gaelic. Sorry to "nit-pick"!<

                        Hi

                        Actually there's great debate over the status of Scots (of which Doric is a
                        dialect). There are many who deny that it is/was a variety of English.
                        Certainly they were both derived from a common root, Anglian, but to say
                        that one is a variety of another is not strictly true. The waters are
                        muddied because of course no-one (not even Doric speakers!) speak
                        unadulterated Scots, they speak a mixture of Scots and English. There's an
                        excellent introduction to the subject in the Scots dictionary, where it says
                        that there were two official languages* in use in Britain by the 14th
                        century, English in Tudor England and Scots in Stuart Scotland. "Since both
                        of these were of Anglo-Saxon origin, they were linguistically similar but
                        far from identical, with Scandinavian elements, for example, more numerous
                        and prominent in Scots."
                        *surprisingly and shamefully, Gaelic has never been awarded official status
                        in Scotland

                        best wishes
                        Rosaline

                      • rosaline furnivall
                        Message 11 of 15 , Oct 1, 2001
                          Hi

                          Adhania wrote:
                          <Dorothy, any chance at all that you might record your relatives speaking
                          the Doric, and sending the sound files out to us, or putting them on the
                          website? That way we could actually hear this!>

                          I can recommend the School of Scottish Studies (University of Edinburgh)
                          site where they are in the process of putting their entire sound archive
                          on-line. Go to www.pearl.arts.ed.ac.uk and click on 'Tocher'. You'll find
                          stories and songs in Scots and Gaelic - the stories have the text with them
                          but for the songs you're on your own!

                          best wishes

                          Rosaline

                          Researching names: Pilmer (Lothians & Borders); Fraser,
                          Anderson,Wiggins,Brown (all Edinburgh);Stuart, McLagan (Perthshire); McRae,
                          Ogilvie, Weighton (all Angus); Paterson, Whytock, Colt (all
                          Perthshire/Stirlingshire)

                        • dmatt
                          Message 12 of 15 , Oct 1, 2001
                            Adhania,

                            I missed this...is Doric a Greek language? Spoken in Scotland?

                            Doric is the dialect of North East Scotland and comes in various versions,
                            including Buchan Doric from the area near to Strichen, Aberdeenshire, where
                            there is a Doric Festival each May. I always knew Doric as Aberdonian and
                            could never understand my grandfather. There was a good crowd at the Doric
                            events at the Gordon Homecoming in Huntly last year, even if it took me an
                            hour to understand what they were saying.

                            David

                          • ScotHeritage@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 15 , Oct 2, 2001
                              In a message dated 01/10/01 8:59:35 AM Central Daylight Time,
                              rosfurnivall@... writes:

                              <<
                              Adhania wrote:
                              <Dorothy, any chance at all that you might record your relatives speaking
                              the Doric, and sending the sound files out to us, or putting them on the
                              website? That way we could actually hear this!>

                              I can recommend the School of Scottish Studies (University of Edinburgh)
                              site where they are in the process of putting their entire sound archive
                              on-line. Go to www.pearl.arts.ed.ac.uk and click on 'Tocher'. You'll find
                              stories and songs in Scots and Gaelic - the stories have the text with them
                              but for the songs you're on your own!

                              best wishes

                              Rosaline

                              GreenTrax records has released a double CD set of stories from Scotland which
                              include some Doric, Old Scots and they also have a double CD collection of
                              Gaelic stories.
                              www.greentrax.com or see our artisits list at <A
                              HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/radioscotland/Artistsatoz.html">The Sound of
                              ScotRadio Artists A to Z</A>
                              Cheers
                              Dave
                              MOL DO OIGHREACHD ScotRadioCELEBRATE YOUR HERITAGE
                              <A HREF="http://www.live365.com/stations/240319">
                              http://www.live365.com/stations/240319</A>