Register of Corrected Entries - Help

  • Sairz
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 31, 2001
      Having spent my first day searching in Edinburgh GRO recently I wondered if
      some more experienced researchers could help me make sense of some of the
      information I found.

      The birth certificate of my ggrandfather Samuel RODGERS (b1887) only listed
      his mother (Rose Ann SMITH) but has a reference to the Register of
      Corrected Entries which names Samuel RODGERS as father of the child.

      The RCE states "In an action relating to the paternity...in the form of
      Schedule(F)". It also refers throughout to "Poor Rose Ann Smith". Can
      anyone tell me if there is anywhere I can find out more information
      regarding the paternity action? What does"in the form of Schedule (F)"
      mean? and also why would my gggrandmother be referred to as "Poor Rose Ann
      Smith".

      Similarily while researching another branch of the family I came across
      references to the Register of Corrected Entries. This time the references
      were linked to the death entries of a mother and baby who died in
      childbirth and another child who died in a house fire. When I checked the
      RCE I could not find any additional or changed information. Can anyone tell
      me what I should have been looking for? I wondered if the entries in the
      RCE might have been an indication of inquests into the deaths and if so
      where can I get further information?

      Any help would be greatly appreciated

      Sarah

      RODGERS, HOUSTON, SMITH, McCANN, MILLER, O'BRIAN, McKELVIE, MORAN,
      HUTCHISON, DAVIDSON, SANNAGHAN.
    • dmatt
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 5 3:52 PM
        Sarah,

        The birth certificate of my ggrandfather Samuel RODGERS (b1887) only listed
        >his mother (Rose Ann SMITH) but has a reference to the Register of
        >Corrected Entries which names Samuel RODGERS as father of the child.
        >
        >The RCE states "In an action relating to the paternity...in the form of
        >Schedule(F)". It also refers throughout to "Poor Rose Ann Smith". Can
        >anyone tell me if there is anywhere I can find out more information
        >regarding the paternity action? What does"in the form of Schedule (F)"
        >mean? and also why would my gggrandmother be referred to as "Poor Rose Ann
        >Smith".
        >

        >Similarily while researching another branch of the family I came across
        >references to the Register of Corrected Entries. This time the references
        >were linked to the death entries of a mother and baby who died in
        >childbirth and another child who died in a house fire. When I checked the
        >RCE I could not find any additional or changed information. Can anyone tell
        >me what I should have been looking for? I wondered if the entries in the
        >RCE might have been an indication of inquests into the deaths and if so
        >where can I get further information?

        The first point about the paternity order is that it is a court order which
        would normally be stated when you order the certificate and in some cases
        the certificate can be amended if the paternity order was not enacted. The
        Kirk Session records might help but I suspect is is the Sheriff Court record
        you need. The Schedule (F) sounds like something a birth, marriage or death
        registrar would know about. I cannot explain the 'Poor' entry unless she was
        in a workhouse or other Poor Law establishment.

        The Register of Corrected Entries (RCE) often change just one word or can
        enlarge on a whole certificate. The RCE just means that they have found a
        different reason or an expanded explanation for a death from the original
        one. If there was an inquest or court case then that would be stated on the
        certificate.

        David