Re: [scots-origins] 8 Camperdown Street

  • James Mowat
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 29, 2001
      Dave,
      I have a copy of the 1938-39 Dundee Directory so I looked it up.
      Unfortunately there is no entry for 8 Camperdown Street, Lochee. I then
      looked up Oram in the General Directory section and found 5 entries which I
      am copying below.
      It appears to have been normal practice to list only one name in the
      Directory against the address. Presumably the householder or tenant. I don't
      know how the information was gathered but I suspect it may have been
      voluntarily supplied by the occupiers of the premises. This may explain why
      many addresses are often missing.
      As far as the electoral roll is concerned it may be that Robert Thoms
      Oram may have been under the electoral age at the time (21 ??). If he was
      younger than his wife this may also explain why she was the named tenant.
      Other possibilities of course may be that he was living or working elsewhere
      at the time, or perhaps in the services? Another is that she was the
      original tenant before marriage? Or that he was dead?
      I hope all this is of some help - or does it just confuse things more!?
      Jim Mowat, Kemnay, Aberdeenshire

      Entries for ORAM in 1938-39 Dundee Directory.
      ORAM, James, dispatcher, 29 Arkley St.
      ORAM, James L., cardriver, 19 Morgan St.
      ORAM, William W., civil servant, 79 Camphill Road, Broughty Ferry.
      ORAM, Mrs. D., 28 Dura St.
      ORAM, Mrs Mary, 9 Balgay St., Lochee.

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 9, 2001
        Hi James
        Sorry it a late reply but I have a load of info to sort
        through.
        Mrs Mary ORAM is one of the ancestors I was after thanks for your help on
        finding her for me .Can you tell me is there any other info on Mary or any
        other Family at the address.

        Regards

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/