Re: [scots-origins] Digest Number 567

  • jmclay@argonet.co.uk
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 29, 2001
      I have examined and transcribed the census and other records relating to the
      parish of Penninghame (including the town of Newton Stewart) in the former
      shire of Wigtown in Galloway, southwest Scotland. I would be pleased to help
      anyone with specific queries in regard to these.

      My eye caught the item in Digest 567. Charles McDowal and Mary Douglas had 3
      children, Martin (24.12.1809), Samuel (14.2.1812), William (9.8.1807) baptised
      in the parish of Penninghame.

      What held my attention was the full name Samuel Douglas McDowal. Where is the
      middle name recorded? Samuel Douglas in his will of 1798 bequeathed much to
      the town of Newton Stewart, and it may be that although Samuel had no known
      descendants this Samuel McDowal may have been a relative. His will has
      bequests to other members of the family of Samuel Douglas. There is no sign
      of Samuel McDowal in the local Victorian censuses, and none of the brothers
      appears in the United Kingdom in 1881.

      Any further information about this family would be much appreciated.

      Many thanks to Scots-Origins for making links like this possible.
      --