Re: Strachan

  • Judy Strachan
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 28, 2001
      Marg wrote: My Great Uncle was named William Strachan Volume
      (1850-1935)and he emigrated from Kirriemuir, Angus to Canada.
      Since the family generally followed the naming conventions of the
      time, I assume that there was a connection to the Strachan family
      at some time. I would be interested in hearing from anyone with
      a Strachan connection in Angus to see if the connection can be established.

      My Strachan ancestors were from Ayrshire and then Lanarkshire, so I can't help with your Angus connection.

      I have found, in my family, that the naming of a child after somebody nearly always involved using both the first name and the surname. It may well be that your ancestors is named after a William Strachan: he could have been an uncle, a cousin, a close neighbour
      or some such. It might be worth doing a search for a William Strachan in the Angus area and seeing what comes up.

      Regards

      Judy Strachan
    • chris/kaylene nicoll
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 1 7:22 AM
        Jenny

        Looking at an opr record I have - there is a David Strachan (looks like
        Hather) in Saint Pauls Church Parish of Perth - May 1842?

        Any relation?
        Kaylene

        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 1, 2004
          To the Strachan hunters.

          Whilst trolling through some passenger lists of ships that sailed from Greenock or Glasgow to Otago/Pt Chambers, New Zealand, I found a Margaret Strachan, listed under Intermediate & Steerage Passengers for the "Alpine" that sailed from Glasgow on 10th June, 1859 and arrived in Otago/Pt Chambers on 12 September, 1859. Just thought I would pass it on.

          Catherine

        • Jim & Betz
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 1, 2004
            Hi Catherine:
            Where were you doing you browsing? I would love to find Mary Ann Turnbull
            who probably departed from Glasgow to Sydney, Australia. Any suggestions
            would be appreciated.
            Betz