My Grandmother speaks Scotch

  • Joyce Clifford
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 28, 2001
      I got a chuckle researching my family that I thought
      this group would find amusing.

      I was looking up my Scotish Grandmother in the U.S.
      1920 census. That census asked two additional
      questions: what country are you from and what is your
      mother tongue? My grandfather is described as being
      from Germany and speaking German. My grandmother
      lists being from Scotland with Scotch as her mother
      tongue. I had to laugh. I bet my grandmother Scotish
      sense of humor got the better of some hapless census
      taker, who just didn't know any better.

      Joyce

      http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
    • angels4me2838@aol.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 28, 2001
        Could you please tell me how you had access to the 1920 Census.? Was it
        through LDS or online somewhere?.....Any help appreciated. Penni
      • ScotHeritage@aol.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 30, 2001
          In a message dated 28/06/01 3:41:54 PM Central Daylight Time,
          elainehmb@... writes:

          << I got a chuckle researching my family that I thought
          this group would find amusing.

          I was looking up my Scotish Grandmother in the U.S.
          1920 census. That census asked two additional
          questions: what country are you from and what is your
          mother tongue? My grandfather is described as being
          from Germany and speaking German. My grandmother
          lists being from Scotland with Scotch as her mother
          tongue. I had to laugh. I bet my grandmother Scotish
          sense of humor got the better of some hapless census
          taker, who just didn't know any better.

          Joyce >>

          Joyce, who ya maki'n oot the noo hen? I woodna be sae shure yer Granny wis
          mak'n a joke. She probly spoke the broad Scots wit wus considard a langwige
          here an ah. Ah'm nae layen it on thick here as ya woodna probly understand a
          word ah wis sayi'n. Fitz aquaint wee tha them that kens it isnae awas aquaint
          by them that's nae and dunna ken. Now ah'll gee ye a meenut ta awa ben and
          hae a wee perk on wit it wis A'm talleen ya.
          Here's tae them that's like us, there dam few and their ah deed
          Hahaha Dave
        • LBtheScot@aol.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 2 9:14 AM
            What a wonderful reply, Dave. Took me a few minutes to translate - have been
            gone from Scotland for over 30 years - but it was great to read!!!

            LB

          • ScotHeritage@aol.com
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 2 8:15 PM
              In a message dated 02/07/01 3:36:08 PM Central Daylight Time,
              LBtheScot@... writes:

              << What a wonderful reply, Dave. Took me a few minutes to translate - have
              been
              gone from Scotland for over 30 years - but it was great to read!!!

              LB >>
              Fitz-a-maer wee ya mun can ye nae speek tha Qweens anglush. Havers, crivens
              and Help ma bob. Hahaha. And I have the nerve to tell my neighbour in Texas
              he speaks with an accent. hahaha
              Dave
            • Karen Semken
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 4 6:39 AM
                What does Help ma bob mean? I had an English friend who use to say it all
                the time.

                Cheers

                Karen
                > In a message dated 02/07/01 3:36:08 PM Central Daylight Time,
                > LBtheScot@... writes:
                >
                > << What a wonderful reply, Dave. Took me a few minutes to translate - have
                > been
                > gone from Scotland for over 30 years - but it was great to read!!!
                >
                > LB >>
                > Fitz-a-maer wee ya mun can ye nae speek tha Qweens anglush. Havers,
                crivens
                > and Help ma bob. Hahaha. And I have the nerve to tell my neighbour in
                Texas
                > he speaks with an accent. hahaha
                > Dave

              • Brian Bollen
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 4 7:21 AM
                  As indicated in an earlier reply, Help ma bob (more usually said as Help ma Boab)
                  is a euphemism for Help Me God. Its stablemates, Jings and Crivvens, are
                  euphemisms for Jesus and Christ respectively. Honest, I'm not kidding.

                  Brian

                  Karen Semken wrote:

                  > What does Help ma bob mean? I had an English friend who use to say it all
                  > the time.
                  >
                  > Cheers
                  >
                  > Karen

                  Brian Bollen
                  Freelance Writer, Editor & Media Consultant
                  3 Ebbsgrove
                  Loughton
                  Milton Keynes
                  England MK5 8BD

                  T: +44 1908 234952
                  F: +44 1908 235053
                  Email: brian.bollen@...
                  Web: http://business.virgin.net/brian.bollen
                • LBtheScot@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 4 1:32 PM
                    I think it is something like "oh my god!!" or "gosh"

                  • IsobelHend@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 5 1:19 AM
                      Hello Karen,
                      "Help ma boab" was the Scots equivalent of "goodness gracious" or "my
                      goodness" and was much used in such comic strips such as" Oor Wullie" and
                      "The Broons."
                      They were published by Thomsons of Dundee in "the Sunday Post."
                      Isobel.

                    • Susan Greig
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 5 12:42 PM
                        Hi

                        Scotch is an alcoholic drink!

                        Sue
                        --- IsobelHend@... wrote: > Hello Karen,
                        > "Help ma boab" was the Scots equivalent of "goodness
                        > gracious" or "my
                        > goodness" and was much used in such comic strips
                        > such as" Oor Wullie" and
                        > "The Broons."
                        > They were published by Thomsons of Dundee in "the
                        > Sunday Post."
                        > Isobel.

                        > removed]

                        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                        =====
                        Sue Greig
                        12 Holley Crescent
                        Oxford OX3 8AW
                        Tel : 01865 768061 (h)
                        Tel: 01865 203206 (w)

                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 5 2:48 PM
                          In a message dated 04/07/01 4:36:42 PM Central Daylight Time,
                          brian.bollen@... writes:

                          << As indicated in an earlier reply, Help ma bob (more usually said as Help
                          ma Boab)
                          is a euphemism for Help Me God. Its stablemates, Jings and Crivvens, are
                          euphemisms for Jesus and Christ respectively. Honest, I'm not kidding.

                          Brian >>

                          And here was me thinking it meat Pa and Granpaw had screwed up their
                          allotment.
                          Dave
                        • WesnJean@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jul 26 5:07 PM
                            Hi Penny, In case no one has informed you Scotch is a drink. The language is
                            Gaelic or Scottish. Hope this helps. J
                          • ScotHeritage@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jul 27 6:56 PM
                              In a message dated 27/07/01 5:37:49 AM Central Daylight Time,
                              WesnJean@... writes:

                              << Hi Penny, In case no one has informed you Scotch is a drink. The language
                              is
                              Gaelic or Scottish. Hope this helps. J >>

                              I have heard of Gaelic, Doric, Broad Scots etc., I know an Aberdonian when I
                              hear one, a Weegie, Invernesian, Teuchter, the clarity of Edinburgh, the
                              slowness of parts of Ayre and several other areas, but what the heck does
                              Scottish sound like.
                              Thanks
                              Dave
                            • Alison Fraser