[scots-origins] Re GLASGOW

  • Andrew Paterson
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 1, 2001
      Hi Dorothy,

      > My G G Grandparents were David and Elizabeth GLASGOW.
      > She was Eizabeth SLEEN prior to marriage on 16th Jan 1849 in Edinburgh.
      > I am told that the Glasgow name in Edinburgh is somewhat rare so hope
      > that someone may be able to help me. My knowledge of them ends with
      > the above facts.

      I was in Edinburgh Central Library this afternoon. In there, I looked up an
      index (5 books) of the 1851 census for Edinburgh.

      There was one David GLASGOW, but his wife was not Elizabeth (I cannot
      recall waht her name was).The only Elizabeth GLASGOW was aged 16 and
      therefore too young to have been married in 1849. As you were advised there
      were very few GLASGOW families in Edinburgh.

      Before anyone asks, the index is on paper. I don't believe it is available
      anywhere in any electronic format (unless anyone out there can advise us
      otherwise).

      All the best,

      Andrew Paterson
    • James Clark, Jr.
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 1, 2001
        Dorothy,
        The LDS FamilySearch lists a marriage of David GLASGOW to Elizabeth STEIN on
        16 Jan 1849 at Saint Curtberts, Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland. Since the
        date and groom's name match your data, I wonder if, perhaps, either you or
        the recorder made a spelling error regarding the bride's surname.

        I hope this helps as a start. There's a clue that Elizabeth may be from the
        Lenark area. I'll check it out and let you know if I find more.
        Jim Clark

        > My G G Grandparents were David and Elizabeth GLASGOW. She was Eizabeth
        SLEEN prior to marriage on 16th Jan 1849 in Edinburgh.

        > I am told that the Glasgow name in Edinburgh is somewhat rare so hope that
        someone may be able to help me. My knowledge of them ends with the above
        facts.

        > Sorry to read about Joanne's troubles. I have always had such a lot of
        help and suggestions from this group.

        > Dorothy
      • dmatt
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 4, 2001
          There was one David GLASGOW, but his wife was not Elizabeth (I cannot
          >recall waht her name was).The only Elizabeth GLASGOW was aged 16 and
          >therefore too young to have been married in 1849. As you were advised there
          >were very few GLASGOW families in Edinburgh.

          I am sorry to disagree but you could marry at the age of 12 (for girls) and
          at 14 (for boys) with their parent's consent. This is confirmed by a distant
          relative married at 13 in the 1880s.

          David
          >> My G G Grandparents were David and Elizabeth GLASGOW.
          >> She was Eizabeth SLEEN prior to marriage on 16th Jan 1849 in Edinburgh.
          >> I am told that the Glasgow name in Edinburgh is somewhat rare so hope
          >> that someone may be able to help me. My knowledge of them ends with
          >> the above facts.
          >
          >I was in Edinburgh Central Library this afternoon. In there, I looked up an
          >index (5 books) of the 1851 census for Edinburgh.
          >
          >There was one David GLASGOW, but his wife was not Elizabeth (I cannot
          >recall waht her name was).The only Elizabeth GLASGOW was aged 16 and
          >therefore too young to have been married in 1849. As you were advised there
          >were very few GLASGOW families in Edinburgh.
          >
          >Before anyone asks, the index is on paper. I don't believe it is available
          >anywhere in any electronic format (unless anyone out there can advise us
          >otherwise).
          >

          >All the best,
          >
          >Andrew Paterson

        • Dorothy Dunk
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 4, 2001
            Many thanks. Ever little helps.
            Dorothy
            > > My G G Grandparents were David and Elizabeth GLASGOW.
            > > She was Eizabeth SLEEN prior to marriage on 16th Jan 1849 in Edinburgh.
            > > I am told that the Glasgow name in Edinburgh is somewhat rare so hope
            > > that someone may be able to help me. My knowledge of them ends with
            > > the above facts.
            >
            > I was in Edinburgh Central Library this afternoon. In there, I looked up
            an
            > index (5 books) of the 1851 census for Edinburgh.
            >
            > There was one David GLASGOW, but his wife was not Elizabeth (I cannot
            > recall waht her name was).The only Elizabeth GLASGOW was aged 16 and
            > therefore too young to have been married in 1849. As you were advised
            there
            > were very few GLASGOW families in Edinburgh.
            >
            > Before anyone asks, the index is on paper. I don't believe it is available
            > anywhere in any electronic format (unless anyone out there can advise us
            > otherwise).
            >

            > All the best,
            >
            > Andrew Paterson

          • Dorothy Dunk
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 4, 2001
              Hi James.

              The Sleen surname came from a birth certificate for my g.mother where
              parents were listed as David and Elizabeth Glasgow MS Sleen. The names are
              easy enough to confuse. Thanks anyway.