Re: [scots-origins] REID

  • jlorraine
    Message 1 of 30 , May 2 12:42 PM
      Is there a way to get further information about the parents of Gordon Reid,
      he was born in 1802 to John Reid and Jane Clunes in Thurson, Caithness
      Scotland. Are there birth records available? Lorraine
    • dmatthew
      Message 2 of 30 , May 3 2:11 PM
        Lorraine

        Is there a way to get further information about the parents of Gordon Reid,
        >he was born in 1802 to John Reid and Jane Clunes in Thurson, Caithness
        >Scotland. Are there birth records available?

        You can continue to check the Scots Origins database and if the records
        exist then the results should come up. The records are baptisms and may
        sometimes have birth dates included but may have limited information in
        comparison to birth certificates.

        David
        >Is there a way to get further information about the parents of Gordon Reid,
        >he was born in 1802 to John Reid and Jane Clunes in Thurson, Caithness
        >Scotland. Are there birth records available? Lorraine

      • jimmowat
        Message 3 of 30 , May 4 9:56 AM
          Lorraine,
          below is one possible record of many possibilities to be found on the
          familysearch site below . I suggest you have a search yourself - if you have
          difficulty let me know and I will try and help.
          Best of luck!
          Jim Mowat, Aberdeenshire (Originally from Thurso)

          John REID Sex: M Event(s): Christening: 4 Dec 1779
          Thurso, Caithness, Scotland
          Parents: Father: Alexr. REID Mother: Margaret SUTHERLAND
          Source Information: Batch number: Dates Source Call No. Type Printout
          Call No. Type
          7222249 - 0820483 Film NONE
          Sheet: 59 http://www.familysearch.org v.2.1.0

          > Is there a way to get further information about the parents of Gordon
          Reid,
          > he was born in 1802 to John Reid and Jane Clunes in Thurson, Caithness
          > Scotland. Are there birth records available? Lorraine

        • Aurore Lacan
          Message 4 of 30 , Nov 18, 2003
            Hello,
            Can anyone tell me anything about Thomas Reid and his family, who were the
            proprietors of Affleck Castle, Monikie, Angus? It is possible he could be
            one of my Scottish ancestors. I am interested in any information - dates,
            brothers and sisters, children....
            Best Wishes
            Aurore Lacan
            France
          • Jim Overend
            Message 5 of 30 , Sep 12, 2005
              The William and David Reid I am researching is William George born 1869 in Tranent, East Lothian, Scotland (his marriage cert says Tranent - I presume East Lothian) -Though I have census records for his father's family in East Lothian, I can find no record of him.
              He was married in Australia but I cannot find immigration records for him or his family.
              I would love to know if he had siblings either here in Australia or overseas.
              The last I can see his father's family in the 1851British census, then a marriage certificate for his parents, David Thomson and Catherine Hogg in 1847.
              Thanks,
              Jen.

            • Catherine King
              Message 6 of 30 , Sep 13, 2005
                Shipping records may only show the port the ship first call into in
                Australia.

                I have a distant ancestral cousin and wife who migrated to NSW shortly after
                they married, but only show on Tasmania records. An ancestor of a gg
                grandmother of my late husband, came to Australia and settled in Adelaide.
                The ship she came out on went to Tasmania. Somewhere, I guess there's
                records (hopefully) that tell us how they got to their respective States
                from Tasmania. I haven't delve into that so far.

                Catherine
              • Jim Overend
                Message 7 of 30 , Nov 24, 2005
                  Hello All,
                  Can anyone help me with the children of James Reid abt.1812 and Catherine Nimmo 7 January 1810. I have dates for the birth of their children from the IGI but would like marriages if possible, also additional information on James himself regarding his parents, birth date etc.
                  The children are: Thomas 1831, George 1833, James 1838, John 1840, David 1845, Ann and Isabel who were twins 1848. The family were from Tranent, East Lothian.
                  Thanks, Jennifer.

                  Lascelles / Nimmo / Reid / Fairgrieve / Hogg / Porteous / Rankin

                • Jim Overend
                  Message 8 of 30 , May 19 6:15 AM
                    Hello list,

                    My brick wall was a birth confirmation for my gr. grandfather, William George Reid.
                    I have just received final confirmation that he had been adopted by David Reid and Catherine nee Hogg and had known of his adoption. He still said that he had been born in Tranent, East Lothian in December 1869. Is there any way of finding this child?
                    I have noticed babies being registered as illegitimate on their birth registration when I have been searching in Scotland's People - but I guess he may not even have been illegitimate! Is there any chance I have of finding him?

                    Thank you,
                    Jennifer in OZ.

                  • bessiems@yahoo.com
                    Message 9 of 30 , May 24 6:32 AM
                      Don't know if this will help--but, there are members
                      of the Hogg family that were among the early settlers
                      of SC--Beaufort area--relatively prominent family.

                      http://mail.yahoo.com