Re: [scots-origins] Family Stories

  • Jody S. Allen
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 31, 2001
      Graham
      I was responding to another's question and was not the original poster of
      the question. However, I don't find your comment to be irrelevant to the
      discussion. How hard a stretch is it for anyone to understand that because
      one lives in an area that they may also feel ties to their ethnic origin
      which might be different. That was the point of my answer to the first
      poster. The grandmother's claim to being Welsh although not living in Wales
      is understandable. A lot of us here claim to Scottish and yet have been
      removed from Scotland for countless generations. Same could hold true to
      someone living in Kent but with ties to Wales.

      Jody
    • rainforest
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 2, 2001
        Yeah I can understand this but in my case ??????

        I have Scottish, Irish, English, Italian, American Indian in my genetics & I
        was born and live in Australia.

        So then what does this make me ?

        Well I call myself an Aussie, but my background is prob typical of many
        aussies with many ancestral homes.

        All the best

        Richard Logan

        > I was responding to another's question and was not the original poster of
        > the question. However, I don't find your comment to be irrelevant to the
        > discussion. How hard a stretch is it for anyone to understand that because
        > one lives in an area that they may also feel ties to their ethnic origin
        > which might be different. That was the point of my answer to the first
        > poster. The grandmother's claim to being Welsh although not living in
        Wales
        > is understandable. A lot of us here claim to Scottish and yet have been
        > removed from Scotland for countless generations. Same could hold true to
        > someone living in Kent but with ties to Wales.
        >
        > Jody

      • Warren Phillips
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 2, 2001
          Hi Richard,

          > I have Scottish, Irish, English, Italian, American Indian in my genetics &
          > was born and live in Australia.
          >
          > So then what does this make me ?

          As another Aussie, surely to be Australian implies a multi-national
          background.
          Even our Aboriginal people came in canoes from elsewhere albeit centuries
          ago.
          I am very proud of my varied background which includes English, Scottish,
          Welsh and Norwegian as well as 6 convicts. I love the song "I am
          Australian"
          The chorus is exactly why I believe we are such an unusual country.

          We are one, but we are many
          And from all the lands
          On earth we come
          We'll share a dream
          and sing with one voice
          I am
          You are
          We are Australian.

          Toni
        • The Fergusons
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 7, 2001
            Hi Toni, Don't forget that the stories handed down might be the way that the person remembers or perceives them. My Father was 65 when I was born and as a young girl he world tell me stories about Scotland where he was borne.and how things were, but as I got deeper into my Scottish Roots, I found some things different. They weren't bad, just took time to sort out the real facts. Don't worry, just go on. Delores from USA or e-mail me at 2angel@...