Re: [scots-origins] Re :Re: Re: Family History Resource Viewer 3.0

  • John Fidler
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 2 9:23 AM
      Hi Joan and others, I went to my local FHC to check out this new 3.0 viewer
      everyone is talking about. Apparently it only works with the latest batch
      of CDs that have been released. So the viewer itself will not work on the
      original 1881 Census CDs which were formatted in the 2.0 version. Looks as
      though we'll have to buy another set.
      Can someone else confirm this before I place my order?
      Joyce in Vegas
    • Eileen@j51.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 2 10:51 AM
        Joyce:

        I have an original set of the 1881 census CDs. I ordered them as soon as
        they were made available to the public. They came with the 2.0 viewer.
        The 3.0 viewer works just great with the old CDs.

        Eileen

        > Hi Joan and others, I went to my local FHC to check out this new 3.0
        viewer
        > everyone is talking about. Apparently it only works with the latest
        batch
        > of CDs that have been released. So the viewer itself will not work on
        the
        > original 1881 Census CDs which were formatted in the 2.0 version. Looks
        as
        > though we'll have to buy another set.
        > Can someone else confirm this before I place my order?
      • Jim Davis
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 2 1:01 PM
          Hello,

          Just got my 3.0 Viewer today, and seems to work with the 1881 census that I
          have that came with the 2.0 Viewer.....

          Jim Davis
        • davidwmason@hotmail.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 2 1:16 PM
            Folks,

            I can confirm that the 3.0 Resource File Viewer CD provides an added
            capability to the 2.0 version, and functions seamlessly with the 1881
            CD set puchased with the 2.0 version.

            I bought the 1881 CD set with viewer version 2.0+ (how 2.0+ differs
            from 2.0 I don't know). As you all have discovered, it does not let
            you search on certain data fields such as street names, occupations,
            or handicaps. This restriction was the result of some hard decisions
            by the LDS folks, as one simply doesn't have the storage space (even
            on a CD) to index the census information across every single data
            field. Visit www.oz.net/~markhow/writing/drilling.htm for more
            details on the computer issues involved.

            I recently acquired viewer version 3.02 (how it differs from 3.0 I
            don't know) bundled in with the British Vital Records Index. At
            first blush it appears to provide no additional capability, as it
            uses the same standard search window as 2.0+ when searching for
            individuals. The added search capability is tucked away in
            the "Search" menu under "Neigbors - Advanced Query".

            This advanced query function searches by HOUSEHOLD, not by
            individual. Enter a combination of words, using wildcard characters
            and boolean operators if you like (see the Help file), and EVERY
            HOUSEHOLD HAVING THIS COMBINATION OF WORDS PRESENT WILL BE
            DISPLAYED. If the words appear in any data field for any person in
            the household they will be picked up. It also shows you how many
            household hits your search is producing as you type in your word
            list, a really nice feature.

            In theory, surnames, birth locations, birth dates, and census
            locations generally should be all you need to locate someone.
            However, any digital census is hopelessly plagued by spelling
            problems. Despite the noble efforts of the LDS folks (and they DID
            do an incredible job), surnames are easily misspelt on the census
            forms, or mis-transcribed during the digitization process due to poor
            copy or poor handwriting.

            For example, I couldn't locate my grandmother, Jessie MARSHALL, in
            the 1881 census anywhere. But I knew that she was born at 2 Bedford
            St., Birkenhead, a year or two earlier, and that her father William
            was an engine smith born in Scotland. So I searched using the five
            words: "Jess*", "Bedford", "Birkenhead", "Scot*", and "Engine*" on
            the West Midlands CD and out popped the family at 2 Bedford Street.
            They all were listed under the surname "MONSHULL" ... no wonder I
            couldn't find them!

            The real value of this additional search feature has to be in letting
            you OVERCOME SPELLING PROBLEMS with surnames (and possibly birth
            locations). It will also be useful to those of you out there that
            simply HAVE to know how many ironmongers lived on Princes Street in
            Edinburgh.

            The "Neighbors - Advanced Query" feature, however, has some
            associated annoyances that are worth noting. Firstly, it can take a
            bit of time to conduct a search, especially if you enter a word that
            starts with a wild-card character (keep in mind that it is has to
            search the full as-enumerated files). Depending on the speed of your
            computer and CD-ROM drive, we're talking maybe tens of seconds to
            search. Also, because it searches by household, it is inevitable
            that the super-large households - like workhouses, institutions,
            ships, etc. - will satisfy your search criteria. It can be tedious
            scrolling through the hundreds of names in that "household" to get to
            the next one.

            Hope this clears up the confusion out there.

            Dave Mason,
            Canada

          • david.james18@ntlworld.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 3 2:34 AM
              --- In scots-origins@y..., "John Fidler" <scotsjnj@w...> wrote:
              > Hi Joan and others, I went to my local FHC to check out this new
              3.0 viewer
              > everyone is talking about. Apparently it only works with the
              latest batch
              > of CDs that have been released. So the viewer itself will not work
              on the
              > original 1881 Census CDs which were formatted in the 2.0 version.
              Looks as
              > though we'll have to buy another set.
              > Can someone else confirm this before I place my order?
              > Joyce in Vegas

              Hi Joyce, Joan and others,
              I have LDS census CDs purchased over a year ago with version 2.0
              viewer. Just received version 3.0 viewer which works fine with my old
              CDs. To get full advantage please read Manual that must be accessed
              from Start/Programs/Family History/Resource File Viewers User Manual.
              About 100 pages but essential reading.
              Hope this helps,
              David in Colchester UK.
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 3 4:00 AM
                Hi

                We have the 1881 Census in the earlier version and have just purchased
                Resource Viewer 3.0 which works well and has added to the search capabilities
                without any trouble.

                Ian A C Scott
              • hthomson@cfl.rr.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 3 5:57 AM
                  Joyce

                  I purchased the 1881 Cencus CDs and they came with the 2.0 viewer.
                  At the same time I purchased the British Isles Vital Records Index
                  CDs and they came with the 3.0 viewer. I have been using the 3.0
                  viewer with both sets of CDs with no problems.

                  Harold Thomson

                  --- In scots-origins@y..., "John Fidler" <scotsjnj@w...> wrote:
                  > Hi Joan and others, I went to my local FHC to check out this new
                  3.0 viewer
                  > everyone is talking about. Apparently it only works with the
                  latest batch
                  > of CDs that have been released. So the viewer itself will not work
                  on the
                  > original 1881 Census CDs which were formatted in the 2.0 version.
                  Looks as
                  > though we'll have to buy another set.
                  > Can someone else confirm this before I place my order?
                  > Joyce in Vegas
                • Helen Lloyd
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 4 12:24 PM
                    Great news