Re: [scots-origins] home of forefathers, scotland

  • cath mcbay
    Message 1 of 32 , Jan 31, 2001
      MY DAD CAME FROM SCOTLAND IN 1886. I DON'T KNOW WHERE HE WAS BORN, ---- MY
      GRANDMOTHER, ANNA SPENCE WAS BORN IN MONTROSE. MY FATHER'S NAME WAS JAMES
      SPENCE SMART, HIS FATHER WAS ALEXANDER SMART.

      -----------
      The 1881 census shows the family living in Montrose.
      8 Blackfriars Street, Montrose.
      Alexander Smart-- -Head-- labourer-- age 37,--born Menmuir, Forfar.
      Anna Spence--wife--age 43--born Montrose.
      William Smart--son--age 14-- born Montrose.
      Alexander Smart--son--age 14--born Dun, Forfar.
      James Smart--son--age 6--born Logiepert, Forfar.
      Mary Ann--daughter--age 4--born Logiepert, Forfar.
      David--son--age 2--born Montrose.
      Cath
    • ScotHeritage@aol.com
      Message 32 of 32 , Feb 9, 2001
        In a message dated 09/02/01 5:12:28 AM Central Standard Time,
        cwhendricks@... writes:

        << ScotHeritage' wrote: "...the only nation in the industrial world
        which does not have a national medical program is America...."

        I don't want to be picky, or start a whole new discussion off
        subject, but I would like to point out that anyone living on either
        of the American continents (North or South) can rightly be
        called "Americans". It is more correct to refer to those living in
        the country between Canada and Mexico as being from the U.S., the
        USA, the United States, the States, etc. We are not the only
        Americans around. Many people who live in other American countries
        are hurt and offended by this reference. I hope that I haven't
        offended anyone by this message--my goal is just to educate and
        increase awareness and sensativity.

        Christine >>

        Hey I should get 5 points for not saying Yanks hahaha You are correct Los
        Nord Americanos I shall try and remember for future reference to say U.S. It
        is a habit to say America in the UK. No offence was intended.
        Dave