Help Needed!

  • l.thompson6
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 31, 2001
      Hello All,

      This is a plea for help. I have hit the proverbial "brick wall" and would
      appreciate suggestions of where to go next. The person in question is my Gt
      Grandfather ROBERT COLQUHOUN. He was born either 1856 or 57. I know from
      his marriage certificate that his parents were THOMAS and MARGARET COLQUHOUN
      (formerly WILSON). I have sent for his birth certificate, but no
      certificate exists. According to the 1881 census he was born in Newton
      Stewart, Wigtown - but according to the 1891 census he was born in
      Kirkcudbright, Dumfries. I have checked the 1881 census for any likely
      family members, but to no avail. I know his father had died by the time
      Robert married for the second time, that was 1888 in Dalziel. I know of no
      anyone have any suggestions? Does anyone have the 1861 census for Dumfries,
      perhaps that would help?

      Very Hopefully Awaiting Replies,

      Lynne Thompson

      Researching - Colquhoun (very slowly), Craig, Weir, Ritchie
    • dmatthew
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 31, 2001
        Lynne

        This is a plea for help. I have hit the proverbial "brick wall" and would
        >appreciate suggestions of where to go next. The person in question is my
        Gt
        >Grandfather ROBERT COLQUHOUN. He was born either 1856 or 57. I know from
        >his marriage certificate that his parents were THOMAS and MARGARET
        COLQUHOUN
        >(formerly WILSON). I have sent for his birth certificate, but no
        >certificate exists. According to the 1881 census he was born in Newton
        >Stewart, Wigtown - but according to the 1891 census he was born in
        >Kirkcudbright, Dumfries. I have checked the 1881 census for any likely
        >family members, but to no avail. I know his father had died by the time
        >Robert married for the second time, that was 1888 in Dalziel. I know of no
        >anyone have any suggestions? Does anyone have the 1861 census for
        Dumfries,
        >perhaps that would help?

        According to the place names index on the Scots Origins website you need to
        look under PENNINGHAME for Newton Stewart. Also the 1891 Census data appears
        to be wrong as Kirkudbright is a county in itself (Kirkudbrightshire)
        likewise Dumfries (for Dumfriesshire). Have you tried locating his parent's
        marriage?. I too would be surprised if there were not other children.

        Hope this helps.

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 6, 2001
          Hello All,

          Thanks to the kind people who took time out to suggest help with my plea
          regarding Gt Grandfather ROBERT COLQUHOUN. I have had another look at the
          1891 census and managed to decipher a smudge next to Kirkcudbright which
          turned out to be Minnigaff a place not far from Newton Stewart where my
          original search began. From help received I now know that is the Parish of
          Penninghame, so at least I can define my search a little more.

          I would still appreciate any help, should anyone have any to offer, but I am
          determined I will track him down!!

          Regards,
          Lynne