40605Re: {SPAM?} Re: [scots-origins] Jacobites

  • Brenda MacCulloch
    Jun 21, 2014
      Yes re the Scots integrating with Native Americans because of their affinity tribal networks that were like scots 'Clan's' in New Zealand the Scots were the same with Maori.  Being able to appreciate tribal / clan society.

      Sent from my iPhone

      On 19/06/2014, at 1:07 AM, "Patience pashe@... \[scots-origins\]" <scots-origins@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      If I may comment....It has been said that those Scots who came to America at that time blended in with the Native Americans because of their 'like' clan system.
      Patience

      On 6/11/2014 1:25 PM, Don & ELeanor MacLeod nova.don@... [scots-origins] wrote:

      It seems to me, it was some Lowland Scots politicians and business people, who sold out to the English and left the Highlanders
      and the majority of Lowlanders "high and dry".

      Don't forget, the history of Scotland, since that time, was written by the conqueror, not the vanquished Scots people..... and, of course,
      the Scots traitors who supported the invasion of their country.

      I find it extremely difficult to believe the majority of Scots people were neutral when it came to the battle to oust their foreign English oppressors.
      I don't the English government asking the Scots that a vote was to be taken to decide the matter.  It was not a rebellion, it was a brave                                          nation attempting to protect itself against an invading foreign army.

      Now the Scottish people will, at long last, have the opportunity to decide if they wish to become a separate nation.

      God Bless an independent Scotland!

      Donald R MacLeod
      nova.don@...

      On 2014-06-11, 8:38 AM, Maguire Kaethe kaethe@... [scots-origins] wrote:

      yes, 1745, Culloden, was the final blow for the clans and the Catholic Jacobites.

       Kaethe O. Maguire
      kaethe@...

      On Jun 10, 2014, at 11:16 AM, Liliardsedge@... [scots-origins] <scots-origins@yahoogroups.com>wrote:

      There were a whole bunch of postings on this subject about a year ago.

      A balance view would be that Jacobites who followed Bonnie Prince Charlie were Traitors to the new Combined Kingdom, there aim was
      to reestablish Catholicism and maintain the old clan system.
      Don't forget there was another rebellion in 1715 where the participants were treated , for the time lightly,. The majority of Scots people did not support either rebellion.

      Angus

      While this suggestion is a series of novels, I think the authors historical research is excellent and I certainly felt I knew a lot more about the Jacobites after reading all of Diana Gabaldon's books. The first in the series is The Outlander.

      On 2014-03-27, at 8:56 AM, 'loucook' loucook51@... [scots-origins] wrote:

      I would like to read more about the Jacobites. Any suggestions?

    • Show all 25 messages in this topic