more AL Trade thoughts

  • harry_thehardhat
    Message 1 of 6 , May 30, 2012
      Team A gets Sale, Machado, W Myers and Hunter

      Team B gets Trout, Choo and Odorizzi

      Thoughts?
    • Dan
      Message 2 of 6 , May 30, 2012
        I like Team A package in this scenario. I'm assuming Team A is not competitive in 2012, of course.

        --- In scoresheet-talk@yahoogroups.com, "harry_thehardhat" <armandhammer@...> wrote:

        > Team A gets Sale, Machado, W Myers and Hunter
        >
        > Team B gets Trout, Choo and Odorizzi
        >
        > Thoughts?

      • touchstone033
        Message 3 of 6 , May 30, 2012
          Which Hunter? Not that it matters; neither Torii nor Tommy are worth keeper slots.

          I'd lean team B, only because actual MLB value should be weighed more than potential value. Trout and Choo are here and performing. But then Myers and Machado are huge -- Machado may be more valuable than Trout when all's said and done. I could see being team A and I'm rebuilding, or I need immediate SP help and I have a full OF.

          --- In scoresheet-talk@yahoogroups.com, "harry_thehardhat" <armandhammer@...> wrote:

          > Team A gets Sale, Machado, W Myers and Hunter
          >
          > Team B gets Trout, Choo and Odorizzi
          >
          > Thoughts?

        • Garth Hewitt
          Message 4 of 6 , May 30, 2012
            Why would you assume that Team A is not competitive? To me it looks like a good deep team trading for a playoffs ace AND improving their future.

            My first reaction is the simplistic one: get trout good! But after pondering, I like Sale/Machado/Myers package better but can see either side. There's a lot more risk on the Sale side; Sale seems a bad pitch away from injury and any prospect can turn to mush, but it's hard to imagine Trout not being a long-term good player.

            --- In scoresheet-talk@yahoogroups.com, "Dan" <dantroy@...> wrote:

            > I like Team A package in this scenario. I'm assuming Team A is not competitive in 2012, of course.
            >

            > --- In scoresheet-talk@yahoogroups.com, "harry_thehardhat" <armandhammer@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Team A gets Sale, Machado, W Myers and Hunter
            > >
            > > Team B gets Trout, Choo and Odorizzi
            > >
            > > Thoughts?

          • Greg Hardy
            Message 5 of 6 , May 30, 2012
              I like Machado, and at age 19 he is playing AA ball with a .754 OPS in fewer than 700 minor league ABs.
              At the end of his age 19 year, Trout had 2000 ABs and a much higher OPS. He's now in the majors.
              I'm not sold on Machado developing power or into anything like Trout. Yet. I still like the "get Trout good" position.

              > To: scoresheet-talk@yahoogroups.com
              > From: garthhewitt@...
              > Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 23:21:17 +0000
              > Subject: ## Re: more AL Trade thoughts
              >
              > Why would you assume that Team A is not competitive? To me it looks like a good deep team trading for a playoffs ace AND improving their future.
              >
              > My first reaction is the simplistic one: get trout good! But after pondering, I like Sale/Machado/Myers package better but can see either side. There's a lot more risk on the Sale side; Sale seems a bad pitch away from injury and any prospect can turn to mush, but it's hard to imagine Trout not being a long-term good player.
              >
              > --- In scoresheet-talk@yahoogroups.com, "Dan" <dantroy@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > I like Team A package in this scenario. I'm assuming Team A is not competitive in 2012, of course.
              > >

              > > --- In scoresheet-talk@yahoogroups.com, "harry_thehardhat" <armandhammer@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Team A gets Sale, Machado, W Myers and Hunter
              > > >
              > > > Team B gets Trout, Choo and Odorizzi
              > > >
              > > > Thoughts?

            • hoot_john_carter
              Message 6 of 6 , May 30, 2012
                Now it is close, but I still prefer the Trout side. Sale + Machado is fair value for Trout. You never know how these guys will pan out, but having all that talent in one protection slot - Trout - is pretty special. Choo is clearly better than Torii Hunter (the more famous Hunter, so that is who I assume you are referring to). Myers is pretty close to Ordorizzi. Again, who knows, but I think those are pretty closely rated prospects, while we can predict Choo to have a handful of protectable years left, while Hunter is out of them.