SSA newsletter for December 2004

  • Greg Crowther
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 12, 2004
      M U S E (Music for Use in Science Education)

      A newsletter for members and friends of the Science
      Songwriters' Association

      Editor: Greg Crowther (greg@...)

      Volume 1, Issue 11 (December, 2004)

      * * * * *

      Statement Of Purpose

      This newsletter briefly describes news, events,
      people, and ideas of potential interest to the members
      of the Science Songwriters' Association (SSA). It is
      distributed via email approximately once per month and
      may be forwarded or posted free of charge. Suggestions
      for the newsletter are welcome and may be sent to
      greg@....

      * * * * *

      Holiday Shopping News

      The December 10th issue of The Chronicle Of Higher
      Education includes a holiday shopping guide titled
      "Gifts for the Gifted." Included in the list of
      suggested gifts is the latest Science Groove
      recording, "Muscles & Magnets," about which the
      Chronicle says, "The second CD by the Seattle band
      Science Groove is billed as 'clinically proven to get
      bodies movin',' with catchy titles like 'Hooray for
      NMR Spectroscopy!' and 'The Nucleus I Like Best.'"

      For those trying to spread the word about
      educational music, the above item is a good reminder
      to take advantage of seasonal shopping trends. With
      millions of parents trying to find presents for their
      children, and with additional millions of scientists
      trying to find presents for coworkers and
      collaborators, now is a great time to call people's
      attention to the SSA. For example, here is the text of
      a message I recently sent out to friends and family:

      = = =

      Hello everyone --

      Greg Crowther here. Many of you are already familiar
      with (and perhaps tired of hearing about) my
      enthusiasm for educational science songs. However, I
      wanted to point out that my online database, MASSIVE
      (Math And Science Song Information, Viewable
      Everywhere), may be useful to some of you as you wrap
      up your holiday shopping. In particular, if you're
      shopping for a child or adult who enjoys both science
      and music, I humbly suggest going to
      http://www.science-groove.org/MASSIVE/
      and doing a search or two. Maybe you'll find the
      perfect CD and maybe you won't, but it's worth a try,
      especially since there is no charge for using the
      database. If anyone has any questions about the
      database or would like recommendations for a
      particular person, please let me know.

      * * * * *

      Dr. Chordate's Songwriting Challenge

      As promised last month, Dr. Chordate has issued a
      challenge to readers of this newsletter. He writes, "I
      have a song called 'Furrier Than Thou' which extols
      the virtues of being mammalian over other kinds of
      animals. I've always pictured it as one of those
      'folk' songs that could end up with thousands of
      verses (my current version has a verse for each
      vertebrate class). How about publishing it and asking
      for people to come up with additional verses for other
      groups of animals (or plants or protists or whatever),
      and then, if anyone responds, printing those verses in
      the next newsletter ...."

      This sounds good to me -- how about it, readers?
      You can find Jeff's original words online at
      www.tranquility.net/~scimusic/curriculum.html, and an
      audio track of the song can be sampled at
      www.cdbaby.com/cd/drchordate/.

      * * * * *

      Science Song Trivia

      In 2000, the York Theatre Company premiered a
      musical play titled "Fermat's Last Tango." In a
      nutshell, what is the plot of this play?

      A. A Princeton professor struggles to prove a
      350-year-old theorem.

      B. A dance instructor derives equations that explain
      the aesthetic beauty of his discipline.

      C. An elderly Pierre de Fermat reflects upon a life in
      mathematics.

      D. Parisian disco revelers welcome the arrival of the
      1980s at a New Year's Eve party.

      E. A famed French composer's most celebrated works are
      secretly ghostwritten by a mathematician.

      The answer will be revealed in January. Until then,
      happy holidays and best wishes for 2005!

      --Greg

      Greg Crowther
      Science Groove
      www.science-groove.org