Re: Jack McDevitt

  • Jeffrey
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 1, 2009
      Well it was abbot and Costello, and Charlie got top billing.

      JP

      --- In sciencefictiongroup@yahoogroups.com, dizzheart@... wrote:

      > Now reading The Devil's Eye by Jack McDevitt. He's about the only author
      > doing sf now that I look for.
      >
      > It's marked 'An Alex Benedict Novel'. Hmph. Chase Kolpath is the
      > narrator; she does most of the legwork, the rescuing and the heavy lifting in
      > general. Do I sense a bit of sexism here? Or was it for the same reason that
      > it's the Nero Wolfe series even though Archie Goodwin is the narrator,
      > takes the punches & gets the girl (if any).
      >
      > Good read, whichever.
      >
      > Janice

    • Bill B.
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 1, 2009
        I'm a fan of McDevitt and of Alex and Chase and enjoyed this novel too. I have collected 1st editions of all 1st hardcover editions of his works, many signed. BTW, Jack is a very nice guy and quite approachable. I do not think him sexist. Chase often has the upper hand and then there are all the Hutch Hutchins novels.

        In a similar vein, I am now working thru Hal Clement, reading Iceworld now. His early works remind me of Heinlein's juvies and still fun for an old guy like me.

        Bill B.

      • dizzheart@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 1, 2009
          In a message dated 12/1/2009 1:32:14 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
          jpmotis@... writes:

          Well it was abbot and Costello, and Charlie got top billing. >

          Bad example; Bud Abbott & Lou Costello were both males.

          Besides, it's not the "Benedict & Kolpath" novels, it's the "Alex Benedict
          novels"

          Who is Charlie?

          Janice

        • dizzheart@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 1, 2009
            In a message dated 12/1/2009 8:11:52 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
            bill501@... writes:

            I'm a fan of McDevitt and of Alex and Chase and enjoyed this novel too. I
            have collected 1st editions of all 1st hardcover editions of his works,
            many signed. BTW, Jack is a very nice guy and quite approachable. I do not
            think him sexist. Chase often has the upper hand and then there are all the
            Hutch Hutchins novels. >>

            I have liked everything of his I've ever read except the Priscilla
            Hutchins series. She's supposed to be a woman but I can't feel that she is, and
            it ruins the books for me. Chase is borderline in that respect - I don't
            really believe her either - but the rest of the books is so intriguing that I
            finish them.

            One of the hardest things for a writer to do must be to write in first
            person or deep POV of a character of the opposite gender to the writer. It
            ruins romances for me too. Men & women are quite different, and until we be
            telepaths like the Mutes, I think it works better to stay out of each
            other's heads when writing.

            Janice

          • Jeffrey
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 1, 2009
              Exactly, all people bthink of are his Angels and forget he exsists.

            • dizzheart@aol.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 1, 2009
                In a message dated 12/1/2009 5:37:45 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                jpmotis@... writes:

                Exactly, all people bthink of are his Angels and forget he exsists. >>>

                Oh, I wasn't thinking primarily of TV. I watched Charlie's Angels at the
                time but never took it very seriously.

                Janice