OT: Elephant Story

  • paul_mannering@westpac.co.nz
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 2008
      In 1986, Peter Davies was on holiday in Kenya after graduating from
      Northwestern University.

      On a hike through the bush, he came across a young bull elephant standing
      with one leg raised in the air.
      The elephant seemed distressed, so Peter approached it very carefully.

      He got down on one knee and inspected the elephant's foot and found a
      large
      piece of wood deeply embedded in it.
      As carefully and as gently as he could,
      Peter worked the wood out with his hunting knife, after which the elephant
      gingerly put down its foot.
      The elephant turned to face the man, and with a rather curious look on its
      face, stared at him for several tense moments.
      Peter stood frozen, thinking of nothing else but being trampled.
      Eventually the elephant trumpeted loudly, turned, and walked away.
      Peter never forgot that elephant or the events of that day.

      Twenty years later, Peter was walking through the Chicago Zoo with his
      teenaged son.
      As they approached the elephant enclosure, one of the creatures turned and
      walked over to near where
      Peter and his son Cameron were standing. The large bull elephant stared
      at
      Peter,
      lifted its front foot off the ground, then put it down. The elephant did
      that several times then trumpeted loudly,
      all the while staring at the man.

      Remembering the encounter in 1986, Peter couldn't help wondering if this
      was the same elephant.

      Peter summoned up his courage, climbed over the railing and made his way
      into the enclosure.

      He walked right up to the elephant and stared back in wonder. The elephant
      trumpeted again, wrapped its trunk around one of Peter legs and slammed
      his stupid ass
      against the railing, killing him instantly.

      Probably wasn't the same elephant.

      This is for all of the people who send those heart-warming stories...

      Paul Mannering : Email Support Coordinator: Westpac Phone Assist
      Tel: 0800 400 600 (xtn: 91806) DDI: +64 3 372 4608 Fax: +64 3 372 4680
      Email: customer_support@...

      The contents of this e-mail are confidential. If you have received this communication by mistake, please advise the sender immediately and delete the message and any attachments. Nothing in this email designates an information system for the purposes of Section 11(a) of the New Zealand Electronic Transactions Act 2002. Westpac New Zealand Limited.

    • mccall3815
      Message 2 of 2 , May 1, 2008
        ---LMAO I'll have to share that one. thanks for the laugh. :-D Beth