Re: [science-fiction] Re: Firefly

  • Heather Spicer
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 1, 2006
      my daughter is 7 months old and i named her Kaylee Aeryn (for firefly and farscape)

      John Leister <aviannix37@...> wrote: I like Kaylee.. and Mal

      John

      TO UNSUBSCRIBE
      * Send a blank e mailto:sciencefictiongroup-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
      HOMEPAGE/POLLS/SCI-FI T-SHIRT STORE
      *http://www.firstuniversal.clara.net/science-fiction.html
      SCI-FI DVD STORE
      * http://www.firstuniversal.clara.net/sci-fi-dvd.htm
      COSMIC MERCHANDISE DEALS
      * http://www.firstuniversal.clara.net/tv-and-movie-warehouse.htm

      Buy Posters and Prints at AllPosters.com!

      Yahoo! Groups Links

    • John Leister
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 1, 2006
        Heather Spicer wrote:

        > my daughter is 7 months old and i named her Kaylee Aeryn (for firefly and farscape)
        >
        > John Leister <aviannix37@...> wrote: I like Kaylee.. and Mal
        >
        > John

        Aeryn is a gorgeous name. I don't know where they got the idea for that
        but it's a lovely name..... Even Kaylee sounds good for a made up name.

        I wonder how they come up with names like that, or if those names do
        have actual real world origins?

        --
        John

        When I see your face, my heart cries out for you,
        I guess that fools never learn how to fall out of love.
      • Heather Spicer
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 1, 2006
          believe it or not we found Kaylee in one baby name book and Aeryn in another, but we were going to give her that name anyway

          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 1, 2006
            Heather Spicer wrote:

            > believe it or not we found Kaylee in one baby name book and Aeryn in
            > another, but we were going to give her that name anyway

            OMG They're real names. I mean to be in the baby book they must be real.

            If I may ask one final question do they have meanings?

            --
            John

            When I see your face, my heart cries out for you,
            I guess that fools never learn how to fall out of love.
            (c) Toto "out of love"
          • Paula Noakes
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 1, 2006
              There's a name etymology site that I just love, called "Behind the Name" (http://www.behindthename.com/) According to it, here are the definitions:

              KAYLEY
              Gender: Feminine

              Usage: English, Irish

              Pronounced: KAY-lee [key]

              From an Irish surname which was derived from Ó Caolaidhe meaning "descendent of Caoladhe". The given name Caoladhe derives from the Gaelic word caol "slender".

              EIREANN
              Gender: Feminine

              Usage: English, Irish

              From Eirinn, the dative case of Gaelic Eire, meaning "Ireland".

              I couldn't find Aeryn spelled that way, but was referred to Erin and then Eireann as related names.

              Another site (http://www.thinkbabynames.com) lists Aeryn as a male name ...
              The boy's name Aeryn is related to Aaron. Search for names similar to Aeryn starting with Ae-, Aer- or ending with -yn, -ryn, -eryn.

              Aeryn is a rare male first name as it was not ranked for males of all ages in the 1990 U.S. Census. Aeryn is a rare surname as it was not ranked for people of all ages in the 1990 U.S. Census.

              That site does list Erin (for a girl) and says it is of Gaelic origin, just like the other site I mentioned.

              Paula Noakes
              ajpjnoakes@...
              http://pjsnotes.blogspot.com/

              Each of us will have our own Fridays-those days when the universe itself seems shattered and the shards of our world lie littered about us in pieces. We all will experience those broken times when it seems we can never be put together again. We will all have our Fridays. But I testify to you in the name of the One who conquered death-Sunday will come. In the darkness of our sorrow, Sunday will come. No matter our desperation, no matter our grief, Sunday will come. In this life or the next, Sunday will come. - Joseph B. Wirthlin

              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 1, 2006
                With the number of shows shooting in Europe and Canada, it not
                surprising the writing staffs start using more names common to those
                regions. Look at how many soundtracks have a Celtic or Gaelic flavor.
                Some of this names are cross cultural. Almost every language has its
                own spelling for John, Jane, Mathew, Jennifer, and Jeffrey.

                JP

                --- In sciencefictiongroup@yahoogroups.com, "Paula Noakes"
                <ajpjnoakes@...> wrote:

                > There's a name etymology site that I just love, called "Behind the
                Name" (http://www.behindthename.com/) According to it, here are the
                definitions:

                > KAYLEY
                > Gender: Feminine
                >
                > Usage: English, Irish
                >
                > Pronounced: KAY-lee [key]
                >
                > From an Irish surname which was derived from Ó Caolaidhe
                meaning "descendent of Caoladhe". The given name Caoladhe derives
                from the Gaelic word caol "slender".

                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 1, 2006
                  Kaylee means "Open" and Aeryn means "Broad-minded" so basically she is open minded since its two of the same thing, but i didnt know that till i actually looked it up, I just liked the names of those characters

                  John Leister <aviannix37@...> wrote: Heather Spicer wrote:

                  > believe it or not we found Kaylee in one baby name book and Aeryn in
                  > another, but we were going to give her that name anyway

                  OMG They're real names. I mean to be in the baby book they must be real.

                  If I may ask one final question do they have meanings?

                  --
                  John

                  When I see your face, my heart cries out for you,
                  I guess that fools never learn how to fall out of love.
                  (c) Toto "out of love"

                • Johann Carlisle
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 2, 2006
                    If I remember correctly, Kaylee's name is short for Kaywinnit Lee (her
                    introduction at the ball in Shindig). I'm not sure that's as real a
                    name as Kayley, however. ;-)

                    Kaylee is surely my favourite Firefly character.

                    Cheers,

                    Johann Carlisle
                    <johanncarlisle-àt-gmail-dot-com>
                    http://johanncarlisle.blogspot.com/