RE: [science-fiction] We got ourselves a new Joker

  • Craig Ranapia
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2006
      Yup, WB has just formally announced that Bale is returning, Ledger has been
      cast as The Joker and the film's title will be THE DARK KNIGHT. Meh...

      I've got to admit that I'm in two minds about Ledger - he's not a bad actor
      - though I think Brokeback Mountain was decent but seriously over-rated -
      but his track record has been (to put it politely) spotty. I also have to
      wonder if The Joker is just a little too obvious a villain to go for -
      though with the ending of BB, it was near inevitable I guess. If Nolan
      wanted to continue the more noirish tone of BB, I'd have loved to see Harvey
      Dent/Two Face done RIGHT.

      Still, The Joker it is - and I'm confident that the Nolans & Goyer are going
      to get the script right and that's half the battle.

      Below is the WB press release :-
      QUOTE
      BURBANK, CA, 31 July 2006 - As a follow up to last year's blockbuster Batman
      Begins, Christopher Nolan is set to direct Warner Bros. Pictures' The Dark
      Knight, written by Jonathan Nolan, based on a story by Christopher Nolan and
      David Goyer. The film will be produced by Emma Thomas, Charles Roven and
      Christopher Nolan. Additionally, Christian Bale will resume his role as
      Bruce Wayne and Academy Award nominee Heath Ledger has been cast as The
      Joker. The announcements were made today by Jeff Robinov, President of
      Production, Warner Bros. Pictures.

      Christopher Nolan revamped the Batman franchise in 2005 with the immensely
      successful Batman Begins, starring Christian Bale in the title role, which
      chronicled the early years of the superhero. Nolan first garnered attention
      from critics and fans in 2000 with the groundbreaking drama Memento, which
      he wrote and directed. He went on to direct the thriller Insomnia, starring
      Al Pacino and Robin Williams, and recently wrapped production on The
      Prestige, with Hugh Jackman and Bale.

      Bale was most recently seen in the ensemble cast of Terrence Malick's The
      New World. His other credits include Little Women, Portrait of a Lady,
      Metroland, American Psycho, Laurel Canyon and Steven Spielberg's Empire of
      the Sun, which was his first starring role.

      Ledger most recently earned Oscar Golden Globe, BAFTA and SAG Award
      nominations and won the New York Film Critics Circle Award for Best Actor
      for his portrayal of Ennis Del Mar in the award-winning drama Brokeback
      Mountain. His other credits include Casanova, Monster's Ball, Lords of
      Dogtown, The Brothers Grimm and The Patriot.

      "Chris' unique vision is what made Batman Begins such an outstanding film
      and we could not imagine anyone else at the helm of The Dark Knight," said
      Robinov. "We also can't wait to see two such formidable actors as Christian
      and Heath face off with each other as Batman and The Joker."

      "I'm excited to continue the story we started with Batman Begins," added
      Nolan. "Our challenge in casting The Joker was to find an actor who is not
      just extraordinarily talented but fearless. Watching Heath Ledger's
      interpretation of this iconic character taking on Christian Bale's Batman is
      going to be incredible."

      Production is set to begin on The Dark Knight in early 2007.

      Nolan and Ledger are represented by CAA.

      END QUOTE

      CRAIG RANAPIA

      "A man is likely to mind his own business when it is worth minding. When it
      is not, he takes his mind off his own meaningless affairs by minding other
      people's business."

      Eric Hoffer, The True Believer

    • Chris
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 2, 2006
        A friend of mine is a comic and Batman fan and I told him today, that Heath Ledger will play the Joker. He almost fainted! LOL, that was worth it.
        But really, is it possible that all this is a hoax or something? Because he told me, that it was planned to make a new Batman trilogy from the start. Batman Begins, Batman Continues and Batman Ends. The Joker is supposed to play a role in the last one. Plus “The Dark Knight” is a series, where Batman fights a corrupted Superman and this simply does not fit into an early Batman story. Or so I was told.
        Maybe he was desperately looking for a way to deny the Ledger as the Joker, though. :D

        Posted by: "Dierna Raph's Girl Soul" dierna_soul@... </ym/Compose?To=dierna_soul@...&YY=91038&y5beta=yes&y5beta=yes&order=down&sort=date&pos=0&view=a&head=b>
        raphs_gal
        Date: Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:13 pm (PDT)

        SCI FI Wire has learned that the upcoming Batman
        Begins sequel will be titled The Dark Knight and has
        confirmed widespread rumors that Heath Ledger will
        play the Joker.

        Warner Brothers is expected to announce the title and
        casting on Aug. 1.

        Christopher Nolan, who directed the hit film Batman
        Begins, will again direct. Christian Bale, who played
        the Caped Crusader in the first film, is expected to
        reprise the role, though that has not been confirmed.