Re: [science-fiction] Favourite Disaster Movies.......

  • Mithril1960@aol.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 1, 2006
      In a message dated 7/1/2006 1:02:51 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
      high_windows@... writes:

      'Last Night'

      I saw this because I like Sandra Oh. She and her paramour kill one another
      at the end. It seems that its somekind of Solar thing causing the end of the
      world.

      "People shouldn't fear their governments, governments should fear their
      people."
      V For Vendetta.

    • Mithril1960@aol.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 1, 2006
        In a message dated 7/1/2006 1:58:45 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
        aviannix37@... writes:

        This was a list for everyone to list their favourite disaster movies
        so tell us which you like.

        I'm not a big disaster fan guy. I'm more of END OF THE WORLD guy, but here
        goes.

        The Posiedon Adventure (both since the second one does something the first
        doesn't and makes the upside down ship a bit more beleiveable what with the
        engines falling through the hull and all. Most unbeleiveable scene in the
        remake: When the hatch blows off and doesn't kill Richard Dreyfuss. Can we say
        BULLSHIT. Yes we can).

        Towering Inferno - which is one of the more believable ones and well done.

        That's about it. But on a funny note, Universal used footage from both
        Airplane and Earthquake in various Incredible Hulk Eps. Universal also used
        footage from Silent Running in Battlestar Galactica. They were the Irwin Allens of
        the 70's! (Irwin used footage from The Lost World (1960) in EVERY show he
        produced.

        "People shouldn't fear their governments, governments should fear their
        people."
        V For Vendetta.

      • Lee Weinstein
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 1, 2006

          > This was a list for everyone to list their favourite disaster movies
          > so tell us which you like.

          There was a disaster film I saw back in 1970 that impressed me at the
          time but seems to have been largely forgotten. It was called NO BLADE
          OF GRASS, and dealt with an ecological disaster of catastrophic
          proportions.
        • J D Leister
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 1, 2006
            Mithril1960@... wrote:

            > In a message dated 7/1/2006 1:02:51 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
            > high_windows@... writes:
            >
            > 'Last Night'
            >
            > I saw this because I like Sandra Oh. She and her paramour kill one another
            > at the end. It seems that its somekind of Solar thing causing the end of the
            > world.

            Possibly a solar flare

            --
            John

            And he piled upon the whale's white hump, the sum of all
            the rage and hate felt by his whole race. And If his chest
            had been a cannon, he would have shot his heart upon it.
          • Craig Ranapia
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 1, 2006
              Mithril wrote:
              I saw this because I like Sandra Oh. She and her paramour kill one another
              at the end. It seems that its somekind of Solar thing causing the end of the

              world.

              I reply:
              The really weird thing is that I saw the film back when it was doing the
              festival circuit, and writer/director Don McKellar was doing a Q&A after the
              screening. He said there were a couple of drafts where there was a 'Basil
              Exposition' moment, where it was all explained... and then he realised that
              it made no sense. It's the last six hours of the human race - everyone
              KNOWS what's happening and why. There will be no last minute reprieve. The
              full noon at midnight thing was a quite simple production decision - there
              simply wasn't the time or money for night shooting.

              CRAIG RANAPIA

              "I'm capable of looking on the bright side. I just don't do it very often."

              -- Morrissey, Melody Maker, September 1987