Re: [science-fiction] Re: Logan's Run remake Zombie dogs are real!!

  • osti
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 1, 2005
      [osti]
      I think salt is needed to pull the water out of the cells, so they dont
      freeze and get destriyed by the ice.

      LP
      osti

      --
      Democracy: two wolfs and a sheep decide who's for dinner;
      Liberty: the sheep brings a *hamster* to the meeting.

      Troy Heagy pravi:

      > So they dropped the wolves 30 degrees C, and the
      > cells were operating at ~12% of regular
      > metabolism. Instead of 10 minutes, cells could go
      > 80 minutes without damage..... that's quite a bit
      > shy of 180 minute experiment.
      >
      > Too bad water freezes. We could take the body
      > down to absolute zero, and keep a person alive
      > indefinitely.
      >

      > I wonder why they use salt-water? Why not cold,
      > oxygenated blood? Might that extend the time?
      >
      > troy
      > <http://www.thelibertycommittee.org>
    • osti
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 1, 2005
        [osti]
        I think it is not feasible (a organ bank), since there is a time limit
        for the use of donors organs. And you can't keep it on ice forever.

        LP
        osti

        --
        Democracy: two wolfs and a sheep decide who's for dinner;
        Liberty: the sheep brings a *hamster* to the meeting.

        Craig Ranapia pravi:

      • aromatase@sbcglobal.net
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 2, 2005
          Prisoners can't be used as organ donors for the same reason they are not
          used as blood donors anymore. Prisoners have a much higher incidence of
          hepatitis B and C, and AIDS than the general population. Reach your own
          conclusions as to why.

          Remember that news article that came out a month ago about the 3000
          Canadians who died due to hepatitis and AIDS contracted from
          contaminated blood in the 1980's? That blood came from prisoners in
          Arkansas.

          http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/3029.html

          Karen

          I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!