Re: [science-fiction] Re: Orson Scott Card: "No Faith In This Force" - The Jedi are elitist, dictatorial and unconvinced that good is an absolute.

  • Craig Ranapia
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2005
      Dave:

      That's a fair point. A philosophy lecturer I know (and ex-seminarian), recently said to me, "The Jedi may well have been the guardians of peace and justice for twenty-five thousand years, but they'd have a hell of problem passing any of my first-year classes." To put it mildly, anyone who goes to 'Sith' looking for philosophical or theological rigour is buying a one-way ticket on the Loonyville Express. :)

      'The Hidden Fortress' is a wonderful film, and I'd also strongly recommend it. But it's also slightly ironic that Kurosawa was often attacked by Japanese critics for being "too Western" in style and subject matter - Yojimbo was as much a blatant "rip-off" of Hammett's 'Red Harvest' as 'Star Wars' was of 'The Hidden Fortress'.

      Craig M. Ranapia
      http://www.craigranapia.blogspot.com/

      "People say that life is the thing, but I prefer reading."
      Logan Pearsall Smith