Re: [science-fiction] Whose Reading What?

  • Tesserae
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 1, 2004
      I really have been reading a lot more fantasy and horror than sci fi lately but that's partly because the little town where I live now doesn't have a decent used book store ... or a new book store for that matter ... so I just haven't been able to get a lot of the books I;d like to read. I've been told that a local thrift store has quite a lot of books but they have really loopy hours so I haven't been there yet.

      The last things I read were Song of Susannah by Stephen King and The Wood Wife by Terri Windling. Song of Susannah is the next to last book in the Dark Tower series and my second favorite so far. It's about four gunslingers ... three from our world (or one just like it) who are pulled into a parallell world where the ages of magic and machines are both long dead and the evil Crimson King is working to destroy the Dark Tower that holds all the worlds together. There are elements of fantasy, horror, and sci fi in a setting that varies between a kind of twisted western and slightly warped reality. Great characters and an engrossing story line.

      The Wood Wife is set in my home town and one of the mountain ranges just outside it and blends traditional fairy tale stuff with local and native mythology and manages to put it into a believable modern day setting with interesting characters and a mystery or two. There is no 'happily ever after' here but it's got a very satisfying ending all the same.

      I just started The Hammer and the Cross which is a bit dry at times but still pretty good if only because I'm really interested in archaeology (especially Egypt and the British Isles) and I'm curious to see how the author (Harry Harrison) rewrites the history. I'm only about a third of the way into it so I can't really tell what I think of the book yet.

      I don't expect that I will be finishing it for a while because I just started playing Star Wars: Galaxies and I'm having a lot of fun with it so far. It's an online rpg that has most of the best elements of Everquest and Anarchy Online with a very practical and realistic skill system and economy set in the Star Wars universe during the Shadows of the Empire time period.

      Liz F.

    • Al Griffith
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 2, 2004
        --- In sciencefictiongroup@yahoogroups.com, "Chris H" <chris@h...> wrote:
        > Our irregular checking in of who's got their probocis buried deep
        > within what.

        Just finished Iain M. Banks's EXCESSION. Loved it. It's not quite my
        favourite Culture novel, but it is a very good one.

        Al
      • Heather Isham
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 4, 2004
          I usually read a lot more fantasy and horror then Sci
          Fi, but the last books I have read are the spinoff
          books from the Highlander TV series. I haven't had
          much time to tackle big books lately, though I love to read.

          =====
          Heather & Dan
          Kali, Retta, Chance & Tee Jay (the horses), Rhea, Hunter & Teeko (the dogs), ris & Lily (the rabbit & the guinea pig) & the fish
          Yahoo! Messenger ID - Rheanikita
          MSN Messenger ID - Kalilady73

          http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail