79481Re: [science-fiction] Comic books & superheroes

  • Tesserae
    Dec 13, 2013
      I think that saying comics don't have the literary merit that books do is like saying that movies don't have the artistic merit of theater. Maybe, maybe not. It depends on the individual title. Not all plays can live up to the legacy of Shakespeare or Euripides, but I'm not always in the mood for something quite that literary anyway. Sometimes I just want to unplug the brain and enjoy The Horde or Trollhunter, both of which are movies I think are pretty brilliant in their own ways but about as far from Shakespeare as you can get.
      It's the same with books, some days I feel like reading classics like Chekhov or Moliere (or possibly Shakespeare), and some days I'd rather just be entertained by The Walking Dead or Sandman or those gorgeous comic book versions of The Dark Tower. There is plenty of artistic merit in comics, just in a more sparse, visual way. A different medium doesn't have to mean a lesser one and there are so many kinds of stories being told in comics now that didn't exist when I was a kid and really amazing art.
      Space is an issue for us too but we're pretty happy building new collections of ebooks and ecomics that take up no room at all and can just be loaded onto our readers by the stack.
      It is kind of weird with all the movies now. There are fans of the movies who've never picked up a comic in their lives but who want to come to me as their resident geek friend and ask questions they assume I'll know the answers to, because all geeks know these things, right? I stopped reading superhero comics when I was around 12 so there's a ton that's happened with characters that I missed, let alone the ones that I didn't ever read. It's just a funny situation. The movies are fun and entertaining and actually better than a whole lot of the garbage Hollywood spews though. Would I rather there were more high quality sci fi movies? Hell yes! Am I gonna complain about The Wolverine or The Avengers? Nope. There's a place for both and I'm happy to have a choice of genres when I go to Redbox.

      On Friday, December 13, 2013 6:39 PM, Chocolate Lover <chocolatelover@...> wrote:
      I don't like comics as such, but I do like the Marvel movies, and the DC
      animated movies.

      But just how many times can you kill Superman it's getting to be a
      bloody joke.

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic